Author Topic: thinning carrots experiment...  (Read 1791 times)

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
  • Just got my first plot!
thinning carrots experiment...
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:21:15 »
just wondered has anyone ever doen this and has it worked?
I was thinning the carrots sunday and they were about an inch or so long and beginning to look less root like and more carrot like if you know what i mean, and instead of chucking the ones i took out i transplanted them into the sides of some big pots i have the courgette seedlings in. any chnace they will take or will they just die?

I did it with the lettuce and the transplanted ones are the most successful. 
Allotment Virgin!
Thirty-something Mum of one just taken on an allotment needing lots of work after a twelve month wait. Let the fun begin!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: thinning carrots experiment...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:25:05 »
Vegemite, think I might try that! As this is the first year of growing carrots (or any veg come to think of it) I haven't got a clue what to do.
Lorna

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:33:32 »
I sowed seed tape hoping i would not have to thin but it looks like a lot of the carrots have popped up so i might need to thin them soon  :'(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:06:53 »
Your guess, Vegemite - against all the rules!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 14:02:42 »
Transplanting Carrots and Parsnips is difficult as the tap root is so long. To transplant you have to get the tap root out without damaging it, then you have to get the transplant in with the tap root straight down and undamaged other wise you end up a carrot with about 2" of girth at the top and the rest is forked.
Also i don,t believe in pulling them to thin them out, apart from you telling the Carrot Fly where your carrots are because you are bruising them you can also be pulling the tap root of the carrots on either side because if they are close together the may have twined round each other so you have pulled one carrot but lost three.
That is why i always reccomend you cut them with a pair of small scissors
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 15:18:37 »

That is why i always reccomend you cut them with a pair of small scissors

Poor ickle carrots  :-[

I always thin mine around about now. Not for any horticultural reason. I'm just an impatient swine that wants to taste home-grown carrots  :)

My 4yr old Alfie 'helps' me thin them out for the same reason!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 15:56:39 »
i,m with you trixiebelle .i wait until some are a edible size and eat them as baby,s
then the ones that are left after all my thinning yum yum are the ones that get to full size. i,v always hated throwing thinnings away
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 15:59:02 »
Marg! You'd pay a FORTUNE for a punnet of those in Sainsburys as well  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 18:31:10 »
Thinning carrots are usually used in salads, they will not take if you replant them as Davy says.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 18:41:49 »
I grow mine under fleece and wire netting and only take it off to weed.  sow thinly to avoid thinning but there are always a few to do. I only leave it uncovered for as short a time as possible. Last year I never had any carrot fly at all. Got a few wierd shaped ones but when they are cut up in a casserole or stew or grated in a salad they are ok. The really forked ones go to the rabbits. On the subject of rabbits. Mine know the difference between the shop veg and our own. If they get ours they gollop it down but the shop stuff is left until they have nothing else. makes you wonder eh!
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 19:41:40 »
I did start thinning one lot but have now decided to follow other method. That will be fine for me I only like raw carrots so those ickle ones will be very welcome!!

LJ

• Quarter Acre
  • Bridgend, South Wales
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 22:07:04 »
Oh no I wish I'd read this weeks ago!! My neighbour thinned out her carrots and gave them to me. I excitedly planted them and they look to be growing well.....are you telling me that even though they look ok that below the surface probably nothing is happening???? :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 22:40:55 »
If you have had the rain we had LJ you might have got lucky...
 ???

LJ

• Quarter Acre
  • Bridgend, South Wales
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 22:46:47 »
We sure have had the rain Saddad!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed then. But if not I suppose you learn by your mistakes and I'll know better next time. I can't believe how complex this veggies growing is!?! I've got SOOOOOOO much to learn -Thank goodness I came across this website, I learn something new ever day  ;D ;D

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 08:18:51 »
oh dear- oh well i'll still leave them in as an experiment! I won't have to thin the other big pot of them, my second sowing, as i put a lot less seeds in, but was a bit over enthusiastic with the first lot- they were very congested.

I am hoping i am living in a little oasis where no carrot fly exists then..... ;D
Allotment Virgin!
Thirty-something Mum of one just taken on an allotment needing lots of work after a twelve month wait. Let the fun begin!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 12:40:30 »
LJ and Vegemite. So that is three of us having a learning curve about growing carrots ;D

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 21:26:47 »
ya lorna!
most of the rehomed ones look a bit miffed about the whole affair already. wilting. will give them a few days though. ever te hopeful one!!!
Allotment Virgin!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal