Author Topic: poorly chicken  (Read 2190 times)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
poorly chicken
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:36:48 »
My oldest chicken is not very well,she is very slow getting from one end of run to the other,only just pecks at food while all the others are very greedy, her poo is a funny colour green and yellow her bum is kind of red and hasnt many feathers there,she just seems as if she wants to just lay down more then normal,she is one of the oldest that we have ,we got her at the lincolnshire show last year there was 3 girls in pen and paid £6 each for them when i when to pay for them was told that there was 3 more at back that i could have for £3 each as the cockeral had been with them and had pecked all feathers off them when i got them home they were in a worse state then i thought at time as i didnt see them he just put them in box and that was that.most off the ones from lincoln have died just 2 left of which she is one of them,and she has turned into one of the bigest girls i have.she is the red one that is in the front of my pic with black on the tip of the tail at back
Pauline
:(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:39:10 by paulina »

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 12:04:27 »
Has she been laying ok? is she stooping? just wondering if shes egg bound.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 12:28:27 »
dont think she has been laying havent seen her in nestbox she stands on floor in shed sometimes she normanly lays farly big eggs,do you think this could be trouble if so what should i do ,any idea

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 14:32:57 »
She doesn't sound very well Paulina but chickens do seem to have remarkable powers of recovery,  though I have had 3 of mine die in the last few months - one of which I had to take to the vets cos she was taking so long about it.  Silly question but how does she smell?  I know I do keep banging on about it but really sick chickens do seem to smell horrid.

Is she eating & drinking?  I'd get her in a box or rabbit hutch or some such away from the others so you can look after her & try her with some bread soaked in milk. 

And finally [ :)] I'd be very, vary wary about buying chickens from markets.  My three new girls [see new arrivals thread] came from a local breeder, they are a month old & cost £3 each. 

Gool luck & let us know how she does.  :)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 14:53:04 »
yes the rest of the girls came from down the road and they were fine,good layers,didn't really get much from the others and i didnt have them for very long they died one after the other, apart from the 2 remaining they have been good layers.we do displays of cp plants and were at linconshire when i got the first ones but when we got them home they were worse then we thought not much feathers on them even the other 3 weren't so good,will have to see if i can get a hutch from somewere and bring her home,i call her rosemary ,we have a really big run for them and when we come in the morning they all come running to meet me and follow me to botton of there run,i feel bit like the pied piper!
Pauline

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 19:08:10 »
Warm soapy baths. I used a large bucket pop her in for 15 mins then dry her and keep her warm. Vaseline or ky around her vent. Good luck.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:05:03 »
Give her bath and she should perk up and the blow dry on warm.  Have you wormed them? de loused them?

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 21:14:11 »
Had a good look at her today and it is her crop blocked it is really swelled, hubby tipped her upside down and rubbed it and a lot of smelly stuff came out,is there anything we can give her for this,and is it contagious for the other girls
Pauline

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 22:08:23 »
Hopefully that will do the trick - we have had the same & it's not catching - can be caused by eating long pieces of grass which just sort of tangle up in the crop.  Try looking it up on the Practical Poultry board. 

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 22:55:42 »
Have been giving her some bicarb soda that i was told to do,been away the weekend (son been down to feed them),and checked on her on the way home and she seems to be a lot better i scattered some corn as they were going to follow me to top of field and the should have been bed!,she came running out of the shed like she couldn't get to it fast enough
Pauline :)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:57 »
Good news.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal