Author Topic: Tomato varieties  (Read 7957 times)

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
Re:Tomato varieties
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2004, 06:02:25 »
Sadly mine are all boring packets.  I WAS going to get some heritage stuff, but just never got around to it, definitely next year - along with my banana melons, etc lol.

SO for me its just 5 varieties - tiny tim bush tomato, gardeners delight, roma, alicante (reliable and tasty), and tigerella - thats as far as I experimented lol.

My experimentation this year is with melons and aubergines on the plot ;)  cmon summer! lol

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2004, 11:54:48 »
Ina, wonder if your Firline are the same as our Ferline? this is our first year growing this variety so hope we get good results.  

Oops, that was a typo, excuse me.
I did mean Ferline.

A friend sent us the seeds she got from Kitchen Garden Magazine last year for the trial. Not only do they seem resistant to blight and some other nasties like mosaic virus, they are just a very nice tasting, good cropping tomato that is early and also is good for growing outside.

We almost quit growing tomatoes, just had too many disappointments with blight. Like I said before, last year there wasn't much blight around, we'll see what happens this year.

Good luck with yours.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2004, 13:20:07 »
I am growing...............

Ferline  (on Ina's recommendation ;D)
Urbikany  (Russian bush variety from Vida Verde seeds)
Sungold
Beefsteak
Gardeners delight
Tigerella

Just a few plants of each variety, looking forward to eating them ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 18:45:46 »
Hi Ruud-if you like `Brandywine` then I reckon you will also like `Caspian Pink` get in touch with me at the end of the season and I will send you some seeds-assuming my plant lives!.

Stephan.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 19:11:46 »
- and me?? = Tim

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 19:17:22 »
That would be nice stephan,and mayby you want some of mine if you are intrested.Got a lot of american and russian varieties.

PoleDragon

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too...
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 20:25:42 »
This is my first year growing heirlooms (and my first post here too!).  I've got Amish Salad, Golden Roma, Black from Tula, Snow White and Red Fig all in pots waiting for a space either in the greenhouse or garden.  Also, I've got some "Pink Jester" growing from seeds I harvested from a M&S tomato, and a completely unknown potato leaf variety that came from Baker Creek Seeds in the US, but with no label on the packet.

Blight-willing, there will be seed to share this autumn.  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2004, 21:29:48 »
Black from Tula is seriously nice- but where can we all grow them?-I have left out a number this year so as to try new ones.

Stephan

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2004, 21:56:31 »
I would be really interested to know what ruud thinks of Purple Calabash. It is believed to be one of the oldest tomato varieties available, claiming little selection from the first varieties brought back to Europe from South America by the Spanish. It has to have been the worst tasting tomato I have ever eaten (although it may simply be unsuitable for my conditions of course)!

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2004, 22:33:27 »
I made a mistake with the ingredients for Red Tomato Chutney and it turned out very good, I'll post it tomorrow if anyones interested.  You'll have to ask Stephan what my mum has but they are doing really well and she's delighted!  Chezzie  

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2004, 12:51:29 »
Money Maker?  Is there something I should know? Most of my plants are Money Maker..... You have me worried now.!  I was going to use most of them to make the River Cottage Chutney so will they be ok for that?

Ads

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2004, 13:18:12 »
Of course! Worry not. Tho' I haven't seen the recipe.

The only time I would think twice would be if plum or yellow toms were specified.  = Tim
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 13:21:12 by tim »

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2004, 14:47:12 »
i started off with

sungella
cream sausage

but i have a habit of 'rescuing' sad, reduced unlabelled tomatoes from garden centres  :D so now i also have

alicante
shirley
an un-named yellow cherry tomato
an un-named plum tomato

got 15 plants in total, all doing nicely now....

i used moneymaker and sungold last year to make the river cottage chutney recipe (well my other half did) and it was great...

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2004, 15:30:55 »
Hi all, :D
          Should i panic? having read all your various tomato varieties , noboody has mentioned the ONE i have got, its tigerella a stripy one. Any comments on this variety. (The plants were given to me free by a friend)
                             Adrian.

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2004, 15:41:39 »
River Cottage Chutney sounds interesting is there a recipe anywhere?

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2004, 16:07:50 »
Chezzie,

I got the recipe out of Hughs book!  I will have a look tonight and post tomorrow for you..

Adam

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2004, 16:14:30 »
This is one I found on the web which sounds nice..

3lb green tomatoes
1 lb apples
1 lb courgettes/marrow
1 lb onions
8oz sultanas or raisins
2lb soft brown sugar
1/2 oz salt
1 oz mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
pinch of cayenne
1 pint malt vinegar

Other spices can be substituted, added or omitted, according to what you like and what you have in the cupboard - my chutnies taste different every year!

Finely chop tomatoes, apples (peel and core first), courgette and onion ; I do this in the food processor , but it is successful by hand as well. Place into preserving pan with all other ingredients; bring to boil and simmer until thickened - about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It is ready when a wooden spoon drawn across it leaves a channel that is slow to fill in across the bottom of the pan. If it thickens up too much before the vegetables are tender, add a little more vinegar. Pot into sterilised jars (I wash them and put them in the oven 10 minutes), seal immediately. Leave to mature for about 2 months before using.

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2004, 16:17:37 »
Thanks Adam, I posted a nice one on the recipe board.

Chezzie

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2004, 16:28:13 »
Thats great!  All I need now is a nice Glut of tomatos.. ;)

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2004, 18:09:43 »
Hi Adrian-nothing wrong with Tigerella,it was very popular some time back when featured in a `Chelsea` garden- some chap called Conran/conman/Conan-who cares?.

Now as for `Money Maker`-reliable,good cropper and tastes -----------well taste is not a word I associate with it :-X

Stephan.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal