Author Topic: soft fruit  (Read 1456 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
soft fruit
« on: May 23, 2007, 12:15:24 »
Hi peeps, how is your soft fruit going this year, our seen here Fruit galore seem to be thriving on the weather thus far. How is yours better, worse, dont have fruit in yet, or already eating gooseberries.

whats your findings?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: soft fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:42:33 »
Nothing ripe yet, but it's looking good.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 13:16:09 »
gooseberries (Year 1) - baby fruit, cute
strawberries (Year 1) - had some nice Cijoree variety, about 20 berries and waiting for the mara des bois
raspeberries - some foliage but nothing else happening (they are late ones)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 14:51:28 »
started eating outside strawberries, marsh mello, this week
some blackcurrants on the bushes, not many but it's only the first proper year
raspberries, autumn bliss have started flowering already
redcurrants, some fruit, same as blackcurrants
tayberry..loads of blossom
looking good so far  :)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 16:58:10 »
 ;D 8)    Redcurrents are really heavy with fruit, some have even started to ripen. Tayberries loads of flowers and small fruit, gooseberries doing well with the fruit swelling nicely. I seem to have lost most of my apples and pears due to high winds a couple of weeks ago.
    Still I cant have everything, happy with what i`ve got.

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 17:38:37 »
this is my first proper year for fruit, raspberries all looking good as are the strawberries, have got a sprinkling of fruit on the red and blackcurrants but nothing on the gooseberries except loads of lush green foliage.  It is the second summer for them so am rather disappointed as I love goosegogs.  Anyone got any ideas of what went wrong or do I just have to be more patient ???

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 18:49:31 »
Raspberries (Leo) foliage rampant and lots of flower bud, plenty of interested bees around.  Suckers shooting up all over the place, managed to pull some up with roots and transplanted them into my Dad's garden and they are now growing like crazy.

Strawberries have been moved late this year so a bit disgruntled but showing flowers.

Gooseberries (Invicta) full of fruit, managed to get rid of the sawfly - 'bleeding' fingers crossed!

Blackcurrant, only a small bush, first year from pot plant bought last year, has fruit.

Redcurrant and whitecurrant (I think, lost the labels) first year from bare root, very small, no fruit.

Cranberry - oh dear, very sad little specimen.

Sand

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 19:04:49 »
this is my first proper year for fruit, raspberries all looking good as are the strawberries, have got a sprinkling of fruit on the red and blackcurrants but nothing on the gooseberries except loads of lush green foliage.  It is the second summer for them so am rather disappointed as I love goosegogs.  Anyone got any ideas of what went wrong or do I just have to be more patient ???

Did the birds get there before you did?  We had this problem last year, we have netted everything this year, and hung CDs to put them off.  All our fruit is looking good so far, but nothing ripening:
Black and red currants
Goosgogs
Raspberries (3 varieties)
Strawberries (3 varieties)
Loganberries
Blackberries
and of course the ubiquitous rhubarb - which we've already started on.
The Tuscan Beaneater

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 19:28:39 »
 :P looking good peeps

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 20:35:16 »
Invicta gogs are loaded, Pax just starting.
Black and redcurrants doing OK but have the aphid for the first time.
Blueberries really good this year.
Rasps are coming on fine, new lot last year  after 2 disastrous years so are  looking hopeful
My little cranberries are struggling but my more mature ones are excellent.I am really pleased about that.

On the whole all is doing well.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 22:59:22 »
...nothing on the gooseberries except loads of lush green foliage.  It is the second summer for them so am rather disappointed as I love goosegogs.  Anyone got any ideas of what went wrong or do I just have to be more patient ???

Maybe you've pruned them a bit hard? maybe they are too young to bear fruit.
For pruning, this year, just cut about an inch off the tips of those lush green stems, no more than that, and do it about mid July.

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 10:01:27 »
thanks for that Jennym, will give that a go  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal