Author Topic: FROST Tonight !!!! North Lincs + East Yorks  (Read 1825 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
FROST Tonight !!!! North Lincs + East Yorks
« on: May 29, 2007, 19:54:51 »
Ground Frost forecast for us tonight ..... have just put Toms and Squashes back in Greenhouse and Conservatory
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: FROST Tonight !!!! North Lincs + East Yorks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 19:57:36 »
We had it predicted last night as well so I got them in then... still in until tomorrow,
better safe than sorry!
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 19:59:28 »
They are saying 7 for Hull overnight, I think it is warmer on the coast, XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 19:59:45 »
Just hoping the forecasts are right and we just avoid frost here.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 20:07:59 »
They are saying 7 for Hull overnight, I think it is warmer on the coast, XX Jeannine

Jeannine,
saw the forecast on Look North this evening, Paul said 'a clear night with strong winds bringing possibility of Ground Frost'

Also RAF weather station at Waddington is forecasting 3C for tonight

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 20:26:37 »
Just had another look, they are saying 4 for Hull  on one place and 7 on another.

I have nothing outside that will perish other than my corn, the vandals got my squash. I have my greenhouse heater on for the replacements at home, but the toms, peppers etc in the lottie greenhouse will have to cope,all my fleece walked in the last lottie raid and I didn't replace it.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 07:41:40 »
No visible frost here at 7am but not been out the lottie yet...
 :-X

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 08:16:25 »
Phew!

Glad I waited. Can I plant my sweetcorn, squashes and climbing beans out now please?  ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 11:19:49 »
I'd leave it to the weekend to be on the safe side RobOTH
 ;D

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 11:37:02 »
right now weather lovely ... 21 C in the Sun, patchy sky, gentle breeze

my max/min thermometer, in the cold greenhouse, says 0 degrees C last night but this is an old piece of kit and not likely to be accurate to a few degrees.

Runners which have been in the ground for 2 weeks seem o.k. as do young Tom plants outside in 'Buckits'. Last night, covered OH's Canna with Fleece just to be safe, it seems o.k. today

Geraniums, Petunias etc. in hanging baskets and Dahlias in pots, no sign of Frost damage.

Like saddad, am keeping my other Toms and Squashes inside until weekend and see what the forecasts offer 

11:43 hrs correction  ...
just found 2 Toms with top leaves curled and a bit poorly looking, looks like wind chill damage, Black Plum and Principe Borghese, funny enough 12 inches away Gardener's delight looks fine
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:46:42 by mikey »

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 13:58:57 »
Hi I am in north east lincs and my thermometer I keep in the garden registered 0C as its lowest when I looked this morning. LUCKILY all my outdoors stuff was inside greenhouse and I don't have much in the ground as yet  ::)

Its been a glorious morning but clouding over and suddenly very cold! I pity my eldest who is selling icecream on the seafront as I type!

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 14:01:17 »
Medium ground frost here this morning, near Maidstone, didn't come within two metres of house though, everything looks fine.

I simply moved everything back against the wall.

Glad I didn't plant out my corn as I was going to before the rain set in last week.

Janeee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 14:54:23 »
We covered our courgettes last night after loosing all but one of them last year due to frosts. Brought a lot of stuff into the greenhouse too. No idea if we had a frost, will have to check later when we go down.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 16:41:34 »
Hi I am in north east lincs and my thermometer I keep in the garden registered 0C as its lowest when I looked this morning. LUCKILY all my outdoors stuff was inside greenhouse and I don't have much in the ground as yet  ::)

Its been a glorious morning but clouding over and suddenly very cold! I pity my eldest who is selling icecream on the seafront as I type!

BG,
maybe my Max/Min thermometer is accurate after all, and me calling it an 'old piece of kit'  ;D

RAF Waddington forecasting 8 C for tonight and slower getting warmer to Saturday

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 16:44:51 »
good, I'll wait 'til then to uncover the squash and plant up the barlotto beans outside  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 19:28:32 »
I plucked up the courage to go to the lottie today, super sunny day, no flooding and no damage apart from 2 corn plants a bit sad looking, but I think that was the wind. Next doors squash looked like they had had it though.Maybe the vandals did me a favour in a funny sort of way.Beans looked a bit tired but they usually look like that when they first go out so hopefully they will  be OK, hope so I don't have any more of most of them.  Everythin else looked fine except my 2 Jack be Little sin the greenhouse, they actually have early mildew!!

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal