Author Topic: Harvesting globe artichokes  (Read 2952 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Harvesting globe artichokes
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 20:46:19 »
No, it's an artichoke. There are different shape globes, some more pointed, others more rounded. Agree with Caroline - should have been harvested already. As with most plants, the more you harvest, the more it produces, so the more you get. Once it starts to flower, that's it. That's why we start to cut them very young; later in the season you get larger globes, but we carry on cutting them for months.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 21:21:49 »
Yesterday's harvest.

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 09:15:40 »
Gorgeous pic Eristic -- very envious as you are way ahead of me. Mind you this thread has been lovely to read as I have 4 Artichoke seedlings just emerging in a pot -- lots to look forward to now. I noticed though that the first one came through and then its taken a good 10 days for the other 3 to emerge. Love the colour of your purple beauties... what sort are they??

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 21:41:06 »
There's no need to be envious, I have also had to wait from spring last year for my crop. I sowed seed last march of green globe and while I was nursing my little plants the Italian neighbour gave me a load of slip cuttings from his. I think he called them Bella. :D  I assume the black globes are from his stock or a rouge seed so cannot give a name.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 22:08:07 »
Squasmad,I have seeds of Violetta Precoce a Franchis  purple one if you would like a few, you can see it on the Seeds of Italy site. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 08:35:02 »
Jeannine,

I would love some seeds of the purple artichoke from Seeds of Italy ... do you need me to pm you my address?

Carole xx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 08:40:21 »
Yes please XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 08:49:14 »
My neighbour must have heard you all because when I was down there a couple of days ago, she had cut her artichokes! But in France we eat them very big, maybe that's just how it's done here?
Cooked in the pressure cooker for about half an hour, then eaten warm with a sauce whisked up of Dijon mustard, salt pepper, red wine vinegar and oil, then dip the artichoke leaves in, eat the tender bits then roll the heart in the remaining sauce and gobble it down. yum yum
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal