Author Topic: Useless compost.  (Read 11305 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Useless compost.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 21:28:53 »
On Friday we travelled the distance up to Cumbria to visit L&P Peat, who mine Solway Moss for Humax compost, used for mushroom growing. Solway Moss is a site the government wants to submit for Special Area of Conservation status to Europe, however L&P Peat have threatened to take the government to judicial review if they do, preventing any of the peat sites being submitted.
I use the Focus and B&Q stuff and find it fine.  Stuff germinates fine and often stays in it longer than the recommended 6 weeks.  Never had a problem unless I am using old seed and then it is down to the seed.  I don't sieve it either.  Also, I know that I am not doing serious harm to delicate eco-systems.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 21:47:23 »
having been brought up on the smell of peat being burned, i would support most measures which keep the habitat :-) for future generations.

Its a smell that cant help but bring me back to a little girl, sitting on the back of a open top truck with my cousin surounded by freshly cut peat trying brining it home from the bog in Dublin. And then warming up in front of the fire watching a dry peice burning - wonderful time in my past!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 23:12:39 »
I too use Humax. I could use a pallet full too.. may I ask where please??

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 00:04:52 »

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 06:31:04 »
What does 1 cubic meter equate to in litres ?

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 06:35:51 »
We have been using Lidles compost this year mainly because it`s in 40 ltr bags which we can handle.No trouble with germination and it all seems to be growing on well. When we pot on I add a bit of F.B.B. just to help.It does`nt seem to have a lot of wood etc in it.
    Marymary
     Are you sure you didn`t buy soil improver by mistake?. I asked my son(who is a landscape gardener)  to get me compost and he got improver instead the bags looked the same.I mixed it in with compost60/40 for tom pots and it seems to be o.k, all growing away.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2007, 11:22:34 »
I have always been warned to get the best potting compost i can when starting off trays no short cuts and no short measures as you only get a chance to grow a seed once :-).

If you are having problems sowing seeds I would say the advice you have been given(above)is a bit out.

Too much fertiliser in it in my opinion!

What you want is a 'SEED' compost which has very little fertiliser (if any) in it.

To save buying all the different types I just buy multi-purpose and dilute it with silver sand, when I need a seed compost and add Chempak potting base to it if I want a potting compost.

In the latter I adjust the amount of 'base mixture' to suit what my potting needs are e.g. equivalent of JI1,JI2,JI3 etc

I would be interested in other points of view on this knowing the variances that there can be in the various compost mixes.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 11:36:26 »
What does 1 cubic meter equate to in litres ?

A thousand.  So, using Wickes ordinary compost as an example, they have a special offer of 4 80-litre bags for £10, which makes a cubic metre just over £30.  But their better quality compost, Westland, is 3 60-litre bags for £12, which is around £70 a cubic metre.

We also bought a pallet of mushroom compost earlier this year.  60 50-litre bags for £149 delivered, which works out at £50 per cubic metre.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 13:46:22 »
I've never understood why compost doesn't have to be labelled with its ingredients like everything else.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 15:29:24 »
Caroline - http://www.seagrow.co.uk/calcswd.htm = 40% Lime.

But it is not approved by the Soil Association as being environmentally unsound.

And it's expensive.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 19:13:42 »
I bought myself some John Innes (no. 1) for starting my seeds this year and have had great success.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 19:58:14 »
I still think the old JI composts are best, preferably made with leafmould instead of peat. they've got some actual substance to them, while the peat-based and other artificial composts are little more than a vehicle for a bit of fertiliser they put in.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 20:11:05 »
     Marymary
     Are you sure you didn`t buy soil improver by mistake?. I asked my son(who is a landscape gardener)  to get me compost and he got improver instead the bags looked the same.I mixed it in with compost60/40 for tom pots and it seems to be o.k, all growing away.

Could well have been, it was all woody with big lumps of stuff in it but I was certain at the time it was compost.  When I bought it I asked if someone could help me put it in the car & they said no but someone could watch me do it - health & safety!   ;D

I have been using Lidls potting compost & I've been very impressed with it.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 22:05:12 »
Caroline - http://www.seagrow.co.uk/calcswd.htm = 40% Lime.

But it is not approved by the Soil Association as being environmentally unsound.

And it's expensive.

Thanks Tim. I didnt realise there were ecological issues with it. I got this lot from Trago Mills last year at a really cheap price. Wont  buy it again.

cj :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 05:52:47 »
"Finally, as a replacement for Calcified Seaweed which is no longer approved by the Soil Association for use in organic growing Cal-Sea-Feed is a blend of dried seaweed, harvested in a sustainable and environmentally benign system, and natural calcium compounds. It is specifically formulated to give growers the benefits of Calcified Seaweed without the environmental concerns."

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 10:02:02 »
I bought a bag of Westmoreland or westland or something from Homebase and I'm noticing some strange result, tomato plants are leggier than normal, a bit pale despite being outside all day and some have deformed leaves etc

Also having trouble getting lettuces going properly in it, dodgy germination, deformed leave, die quickly, going to mulch with it and buy some more as don't need mych more this year.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 13:02:56 »
I got the New Horizon stuff cheap because they told me at Hayes that they are only stocking Westland now!

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 13:21:07 »
Bought three 160 litre bags of B+Q multipurpose. NEVER AGAIN.
Everything looks sickly, seedlings are bursting up then dying off left right and centre.
Bit of weak miracle grow solution and things are looking up.
I think the compost has not been rotted down long enough, it appears to be more like bark mulch than compost and seems to have very little nutrients in it.

Rohaise

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 19:22:47 »
 Useless compost .....DONT GET ME STARTED !!!   >:( Rohaise )

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 18:36:17 »
Yes i have used the B & Q mp compost :( and my seedlings became ill too yellow and limp??? I transplanted them in john Innes No1 and within a couple of days they are looking much improved! so i know it was dodgy compost ::)
If all fails then try again...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal