Author Topic: San marzano toms.  (Read 7291 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: San marzano toms.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 12:04:25 »
No folks thats his normal manner!!

We have met in orbit a few times and he hasn't changed!!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 12:28:18 »
Shame he doesn`t understand such technical terms as `manners`  `tact` and `understanding`-because apart from the lack of those he isn`t stupid

gridgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 14:29:53 »
shame you all don't understand that by pruning you lose half your production and ever thing I read says pruning with out a good reason is not needed.Also one of the most knowledge tomato experts agrees with me that pruning except for growing for large fruit size is not need. 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 16:56:33 »
Grid gardener,

I can't speak for everyone else but I have grown   tomatoes in 5 countries over a period of almost  50 years,  and have a collection of tomato varieties currently running at about 280. I think therefore I know a little.

Collectively on this forum I would say we had a great deal of folks much like myself who have experimented, shown,saved and even bred varieties over the years.

As I am always open to ideas,perhaps you could name your tomato expert, if he is one I don't already know and he someone of note I would be most interested to read his work.

Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 17:07:54 »
there are as many ways of growing things as there are gardeners, no way is the right or wrong way, just a different way of doing things, imho  ;D

gridgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 20:12:45 »
Jeannine I am sure you have heard of the experts that I count as good sources
Dr Carolyn male and Craig LeHoullier.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 21:28:16 »
Wish I could find the link to the 'expert' who removes all the leaves!  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 22:21:29 »
Well Marymary, Carolyn Males book would be no good to you then as she doesn't prune much at all,I can lend it to you if you like,of course it is 100 Heirloom Toms for the AMERICAN gardener,but it is still an excellent  read even though we differ on a couple of points.  I have  some of her and Craigs joint  no frills  newsletters too if you fancy them, they were interesting for a while  , then they  went out of production. I might put them on e bay.

I remember  something about the leaf stripper,it is ringing a wee bell in my head. Remind me please!!!

Have fun pruning XXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pompeydude

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 09:53:43 »
Hello Jeannine,
as you appear to be vastly knowledgeable on tomatoes, I was just wondering if I could bug you for some advise on the Alsia Craig I'm growing, they seem to be very slow growing ?  they are way behind the gardeners delight that I sowed at the same time,  they are now also behind the sweet olive that I sowed several weeks later.
are they a slow grower ? and is this to be expected ?

Phill

;D ;D
yer !! but this goes up to eleven

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 10:09:36 »
Thank you for the compliment but I think I know just a little.

Re you Ailsa Craigs.I am sorry but I cannot answer your question, it is one I personally have rarely grown as I am not keen on the flavour but  I do know it is considered an  early  so can see no obvious reason for your difficulty.

I am sorry I cannot help you more.

XX Jeannine

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 10:41:11 »
Wish I could find the link to the 'expert' who removes all the leaves!  ;D

There you go ... http://www.joyfultomato.com/

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage caused by immoderate laughter at "The Joyful Tomato" or its loony-tunes author  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 11:10:53 »
This is so funny, everytime I read it it cracks me up laughing.  The  exact opposite to Dr Carolyn. I can't help thinking that a middle of the line approach is best!!

XX Jeannine

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 13:02:10 »
I so agree - everything in moderation me!, just thought our new friend Gridge might enjoy reading it too but couldn't find it - thanks Mel.  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 17:45:14 »
Gridge???? or Grinch????

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 18:00:30 »
Hi pomeydude.

Ailsa Craig is not normally slow growing-it just sounds like `one of those things`. Like Jeannine is not one I would have in my top 50 but of the unholy trinity of Moneymaker,Alicante and Ailsa Craig-it`s by far the better

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 18:06:15 »
Hey Cleo, what's your views on Shirley, my other pet hate. I do believe  so far we have the same taste XXX Jeannine

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 18:08:28 »
To me Shirley is an F1 moneymaker-slightly better flavour but that`s not saying much is it? ;D

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 18:13:21 »
The sad thing is that GCs and some market stalls only sell the `dreaded few` And yet a really tasty variety is no more difficult to grow.

gridgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 21:53:56 »
No folks thats his normal manner!!

We have met in orbit a few times and he hasn't changed!!

So teegee are you still pushing your website on people instead giving real answers to their questions.

gridgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 21:57:31 »
Shame he doesn`t understand such technical terms as `manners`  `tact` and `understanding`-because apart from the lack of those he isn`t stupid

I only show manner to  pleasant people of which teegee isn't.
The and teegee is wrong most time as well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal