Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Danger from allotment self-management

<< < (3/3)

arphamoe:
Can't help you with examples but I would go for the Ombudsman, the Standards Board (if its maladministration or abuse of rules) and then the local MP - if the Council cant be disciplined enough to grant you any form of reply or audience at a hearing, perhaps they can answer to a higher authority. I would even consider going as far as contacting Deputy Prime Ministers office, as it they who have final say in allotment matters.

djbrenton:
Section 1 requires that 12 months notice should be given. Our Association ( I'm no longer Secretary) seems to think it can opt not to renew someone's tenancy at this time of year, but will find itself embroiled in Extraordinary General Meetings if it tries. Had I been able to attend our AGM, I was going to propose an inclusion in our tenancy agreements that tenancies be automatically renewable unless eviction proceedings were underway for breach of said agreement.

Frankie:
Does anybody have any more recent experience of this type of devolved management of council sites, than this original post from ten years ago? Wondering if anybody has examples of long lease agreements that have worked effectively, or found problems further down the line after taking on the commitment? In our particular case, the association wants to take on the lease, and the council wants to lease the allotments for 50 or 99 years. I'm doubtful about the legacy that this leaves for future generations of allotmenteers, especially as even now, with over 400 plotholders, the committee struggles to get volunteers to take on committee roles. All of the committee is over 70 years old, and younger people just are not interested in taking it on. Any comments very welcome!

andyswarbs:
We have a 5-year lease of our land from our parish council that started the lease in 2005.  They have a representative on our committee who acts as a two-way conduit.  I believe the relationship works well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version