Author Topic: root aphids!  (Read 2271 times)

clare

• Quarter Acre
  • If anyone wants me I'll be at my lottie!
root aphids!
« on: May 28, 2004, 09:38:55 »
I think my carrots and parsnips have got root aphids  :(

are they going to be a major problem?  do I need to get rid of them???  and if so, HOW???????!  ???  ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:root aphids!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 23:29:31 »
Root aphids......do you mean like carrot fly?  Sorry, am going to be no help whatsoever, especially as my carrots have only just germinated!  :-\  I would think, um...well....if they are big enough to use, get 'em up and use them cutting out the damage.  Then, is there something you can treat the rest wish I wonder....come on experts.... ;D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 00:20:31 »
Hi Clare - if it's carrot fly, then my answers to your three questions are:-

Yes
Yes
and How?  ???

:)  :)  :)

Once you see the signs of carrot fly, Emma's advice is good - use what you can.  But I'm the wrong person to answer - never having managed to grow a full-sized carrot yet!

All best - Gavin

clare

• Quarter Acre
  • If anyone wants me I'll be at my lottie!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 12:34:07 »
no, it's not carrot fly (at least I don't think it is!)... that was my first thought..  :o  :o

There are lots of ants around the carrots and they have disturbed the soil around the root... so I pulled one up expecting it to be the dreaded carrot fly and discovered lots of tiny aphids.  checked in a book and think that its root aphids... no damage to the roots so far but I'm guessing that in the long run its not good news.

its difficult to apply any of the usual methods for removing aphids because they are just below the soil surface.

will have a search on the web to see if there's any advice.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 16:26:10 »
Hi Clare,

Carrot fly is a flying insect and you might have found, it about to lay its eggs, which in itself doesn't do much damage

It is the resulting hatched grub that causes the damage as it burrows into the carrot.

If this is what it is; I very much doubt if you will see the eggs, what you need to do is kill off the hatching grubs before they do too much damage.

Drench the carrot seedlings with an insecticide such as 'Sybol' and this will kill off the grubs as they hatch.

I like to use a pump spray when doing this, as I find it more effective (and cheaper) than using a watering can.

n.b. I sometimes use this method wash the soil back after thinning the row/s as an insurance.

If nothing else the 'Sybol' will probably kill off your problem even if it is not 'Carrot Fly'

The Gardener

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 19:21:48 »
It should be noted that it is extrememly unwise just to throw something at a problem in the hope it will deal with it. However, in this case, Sybol is cleared for aphids although I would still read the label to make sure it is effective in this particular situation. Googling carrot root aphid the other day it was indicated that the aphids tend to congregate around the crown of the plant- presumably so they can breathe. Would it be possible to pour a small quantity of warm to hot water on the aphids?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal