Author Topic: Pak choi and flea beetles  (Read 2820 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Pak choi and flea beetles
« on: May 28, 2004, 10:58:09 »
So, the flea beetles have had a good go at my pak choi, but it doens't look tooooooo bad, they only really started on the outer leaves, then I gave it a light dusting and they almost left them alone after that......what I want to check is, they are still okay to munch aren't they?  They are getting HUGE and I could do with starting on them to thin them out a bit....I planted them a touch close really.  Fancy them stir fried with some oyster sauce  :P

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:Pak choi and flea beetles
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 11:20:27 »
Sorry i cant answer your question as touch wood nothing has been at mine yet.But just wanted to say that you can do them in a covered dish in the microwave for a few minutes and they are just delish and still a bit crunchy.I have been astonished at how well they have grown.This is my first attempt at them.But they are one of my very special favourite vege so will deffinately be growing them again.Ihave already put some more seeds in as i remember someone saying that they can be grown well into the Summer.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 11:29:46 »
Glad to hear you've done well, everytime I try oriental veg. I've discovered that the slugs and their mates like chinese just as much as I do  :-X

They'll happily walk through rows of lettuce to get at them.

Maybe I'll give it another go as the allotment doesn't seem as infested as the garden.

Jeremy

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 14:10:33 »
Should be fine E.J.. I have seen many brassicas sold with some flea beetle damage. You don't say what you dusted them with, or when,  so I would wash them thoroughly first.
Flea beetle, like most temperate beetles, prefer cooler temperatures and tend to disappear as temperatures warm. This may also have contributed to the damage reduction you have observed.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 16:38:12 »
Brill, thanks John.  I dusted them very lightly with Derris about...um.....6 weeks ago I guess.  And they haven't done any damage to the cores of the plant, and to be honest, that is my fave bit!  I shall pic a couple in the next few days and take a pic and post, then you can see the damage.....and I will be able to let you know if they taste delish!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 16:39:14 »
How many times do I have to say FLEECE??

Anyway, it's the stem that is the really interesting bit?  So a bit of leaf damage is not important. Unless, As John hinted, you may have used a 'nasty' on them? = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 23:27:32 »
I know Tim, I know.  Next year everything will be fleeced!  You won't be able to see my allotment, it will look like a giants bed with a lovely cosy duvet over it!  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal