Author Topic: Cardoons  (Read 1546 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Cardoons
« on: June 30, 2010, 14:54:44 »
I have grown them for years-lovely tall decorative plants. But has anyone eaten them? I must admit to being lazy and all that blanching seems a bit much. Am I missing out?

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: Cardoons
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 15:12:01 »
Snap i have just started to grow them this year as a all decorative plant
 So would be interested in knowing more
i don't belive death is the end

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 15:14:59 »

there are videos on youtube on how to prepare them. The old bloke on "Victorian Kitchen Garden" also prepared one I remember. Seemed like too much fuss

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 15:50:08 »
The old bloke on "Victorian Kitchen Garden"

Old bloke??-shame on you. That was Harry Dodson-one of the finest gardeners and all round gentleman it has been my privelige to meet and talk to.

What Harry had forgotten in his later years was more than I have ever had=old bloke indeed.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 15:53:43 »
Yes, but I think they are an acquired taste.  (Husband is Italian, that might explain it  ;))

I don't blanche them though, but cut the stems and trim off all the green bits so they look like sticks of celery.  Wash and cut into pieces about 2 - 3 inches long and steam till tender.  Then dip in egg and seasoned flour and fry in olive oil.  (if you don't 'do' fried things, then they can be eaten just steamed)

We only pick them in the early part of the season, before the flowers appear, they get tough afterwards.  You might have missed out for this year.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 16:39:02 »
The old bloke on "Victorian Kitchen Garden"

Old bloke??-shame on you. That was Harry Dodson-one of the finest gardeners and all round gentleman it has been my privelige to meet and talk to.

What Harry had forgotten in his later years was more than I have ever had=old bloke indeed.

yes, I knew what his name was, I was just being off the top of my head conversational

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 17:29:25 »
No offence given and none taken?

Harry was something special though-10 minutes of him showing how to do things were worth years of trial and error. He was exactly how he comes over in the tv series-unassuming but confident in his ways that had served him from journeyman to head gardene

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 18:09:21 »
well I was giving him the respect of remembering something he did for 5 minutes My God 23 years ago. How can that be right? I'm gobsmacked. 23 years

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 18:11:29 »
ok back to cardoons now  ;D ;D ;D ;D
i don't belive death is the end

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal