Author Topic: Tree Fern R.I.P ?  (Read 2296 times)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
Tree Fern R.I.P ?
« on: May 19, 2007, 19:11:38 »
Hi ya guys, last summer i bought a really nice Tasmanian tree fern, that stands about 2 feet high ( not including fronds ) and after keeping it wrapped in thick underlay and newspaper in the crown over winter, it doesn't seem to have responded to the warm weather at all, its been uncovered since mid March, and it's in a sheltered spot. Should i have seen new growth by now? Or has it gone T**ts up? :)
Thas a rummun !!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Tree Fern R.I.P ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 19:14:36 »
Dont know.

Is the middle of the top wet?

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 19:20:03 »
No, i watered it quite liberally until late autumn, early winter, and tried to do what i thought i should do, but i reckon it's a wee bit poorly!! Does anyone have any ideas, as I'm contemplating a burial  for the said item if it's croaked it?
Thas a rummun !!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 19:24:09 »
If its been out over all this rain it might have delayed the growth.

where did you get it from??

If you bought it from a garden centre you might try calling them and asking to speak to there plants man, it will also be under guarantee.

Camborune7

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 19:36:44 »
If its been out over all this rain it might have delayed the growth.

where did you get it from??

If you bought it from a garden centre you might try calling them and asking to speak to there plants man, it will also be under guarantee.

Camborune7
I bought it from a Tesco garden centre ( Don't laugh )  ;D and it really did well, right up until  winter, and now it's very dormant by the looks of it>
Thas a rummun !!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 19:40:20 »
I cant imaging Tescos having a plants man to help but they might give you a refund or replacement.

Pop an email to gardeners question time?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 21:39:17 »
My tree fern, now over 10 years old, hasn't started into growth yet, and I don't expect it to for another few weeks. Have a feel around at the top, hopefully you will feel the knobbly bits which are the new fronds waiting to emerge.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 22:03:40 »
Cheers Jenny, maybe there's hope for it after all!! Ta very much, and to you too cambourne7.

Andy
Thas a rummun !!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 14:10:53 »
I am in Kent so a bit warmer and we do not cover our fern at all during the winter and as you can see it is now starting some good new fronds. I think they are hardier than some people think as they are in many gardens and parks with no covers.

pompeydude

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 14:38:18 »
i cover mine just as the first frosts are due, and don't water hardly at all (mabye once or twice) during the winter months.
i unwrapped mine about a month ago, and have started to water the top, and mist the sides, every three to five days.   I've only just got one frond (spelling)  starting to unfurl,  so i wouldn't worry to much yet.
As jennym says, have a feel insdie the top and see if you can feel the fronds still curled up ready to go.

i live down on the south coast, so we are a little warmer that most, but it's been a weird spring, hot and dry, then very wet and very windy.

Phill
 ;D ;D ;D
yer !! but this goes up to eleven

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 18:19:21 »
I'll get watering then, cheers for the tips everyone... Andy :)
Thas a rummun !!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal