Author Topic: Hardening off in rain?  (Read 1272 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Hardening off in rain?
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:18:22 »
If we are set for another week of rain, is it best to wait before starting to harden off? I don't imagine a battering from the rain would do my beans and courgettes any good.

P.S. Just checked the BBC5 day forecast and it's changed completely since yesterday- rain today then none. (bet it's wrong) But will ask the question anyway for future reference.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:20:35 by caroline7758 »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Hardening off in rain?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:56:57 »
Gusty weather & heavy rain certainly damage things. I've lost Courgette leaves this month.

No cold frame? Leave the lid part open? Cover with mesh?

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:39:18 »
To protect from wind i put mine out in cheap plastic storage box's

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 13:16:27 »
Gusty weather & heavy rain certainly damage things. I've lost Courgette leaves this month.

Ahhh, this could be what's done some of our courgettle leaves in then, hadn't made the connection. I've just picked off the dead leaves & hoping the plants will be ok!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 10:24:14 »
mmmm I have already planted loads of stuff including toms and courgettes. We had strong wind and rain for a few days and in fact, everything seems to have survived well. Some leaves are lost, but look at the growing centre of the plant, it is undisturbed. In fact I think that the rain is the reason why so many of my seeds are now up!! I left everything out, except the sweet peppers that are still quite small, I brought them back inside.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal