Author Topic: Fulford Cross allotments declared "safe"  (Read 3377 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Fulford Cross allotments declared "safe"
« on: May 11, 2007, 16:45:17 »
I just came across this story on the BBC website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/6646083.stm

I can't see any reference to it on here through the search facility, but apologies if it has indeed been posted before.

http://www.york.gov.uk/news/latestNews/PR1742 is so po-faced that it's funny.  York Council say, amongst other things, that:

"Both the council and the HPA would like to stress that these measures are precautionary and reflect the sort of common sense approach that applies to all gardeners.

- Hands should be washed after handling soil, particularly before eating, drinking or washing.
- Where possible, gloves should be worn when gardening and gathering produce.
- Fruit and vegetables should be washed and, where practical, peeled before eating to remove any attached soil.
- Extra care should be taken when children visit the allotments - this means preventing them from putting soil or dirty fingers and toys in their mouths, and ensuring that they wash any exposed skin after playing in the soil.
- Care should be taken to avoid carrying soil from the allotments into homes on dirty shoes and clothes.
- It would preferable if bonfires were not lit on the allotments. However, any allotment holders who do choose to have a bonfire on their plot should try to make sure that it is away from their growing area and not dig ash into the soil.
- Anyone who comes across something in the soil that gives them cause for concern should contact Jason Drake, the council's contaminated land officer, immediately on 551533."

Unbelievable.  The Elfin Safety Nazis are at it again!

I don't know about you chaps, but I often come across things in the soil that give me cause for concern. Slugs, mostly.  :(  I'll give old Jason a bell next time, eh?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Fulford Cross allotments declared "safe"
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 17:07:58 »
good grief..speechless  :-X :-X :-X

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 17:11:36 »
As my old gran was oft to say"you will have to eat alot more dirt before you die"
 too     true!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 17:35:37 »
I think we may have at least one A4A member on that site- would like to hear their side! Also, I think that is a site where they run a great children's allotment, so maybe they were being extra careful.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 20:34:17 »
The story is a result of high levels of arsenic being found on the plots, the precautions are sensible i'm sure you will all agree  :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:11:15 »
The story is a result of high levels of arsenic being found on the plots, the precautions are sensible i'm sure you will all agree  :)

How high?  Do you know?  Because if they were actually low levels, then I strongly disagree!  And the fact is that after punishing the plot holders by denying them access to their plots for 6 months, the elfin safety guys then said that arsenic and lead levels were in fact below the safe maxima.

And we must remember that safety levels for elements like lead and arsenic are set by calculating the actual safe levels and then dividing by at least a hundred just to be on the extra safe side!

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 21:05:28 »
No i do not know how high the levels were.
Punishing the plot holders by making sure there plots were safe for them to work on ? Strange punishment  ???
People are just too quick to criticise councils now days.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 12:15:23 »
No i do not know how high the levels were.
Punishing the plot holders by making sure there plots were safe for them to work on ? Strange punishment  ???
People are just too quick to criticise councils now days.

The reason that people are quick to criticise councils is that so often, as in this case, their reaction is disproportionate, or else completely lacking.  It would be good to get a good value-for-money service across the board rather than sporadic wasteful and silly activities.

This thread, from long ago, is illuminating, and rather sad.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,2938.0

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:52:45 »
The reason that people are quick to criticise councils is that so often, as in this case, their reaction is disproportionate, or else completely lacking.

Only because the levels were found to be safe, if not there wouldn't be any complaints from anyone !

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 14:25:56 »
Only because the levels were found to be safe, if not there wouldn't be any complaints from anyone !

;D ;D ;D ;D It took me this long to realise that you’re just winding me up!

Very good.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

But there’s a serious point in all this, nonetheless.  However satisfying some little jack-in-office might find it, to ban someone from gardening on a silly pretext, especially if it’s their only pleasure in life, is morally and socially unacceptable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal