Author Topic: consequences of short cuts  (Read 4334 times)

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
Re: consequences of short cuts
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 22:52:46 »
A month ago when we got the allotment it took me 3 hours to double dig, remove every trace of weed I could see 1m2! I enjoyed the diggin, it was relaxing, and even though it was slow going I felt like I was achieving something.
I am now getting better at it!! Yesterday I did 1.5x1m in 45mins!! Although the soil was much softer after the recent rain!
When I started I could barely use a fork! I don't think I had ever used one before, getting the fork into the soil was the first difficulty, and then lifting the weight of the soil on the fork, trying not to drop it off where I didnt want it to go, or dropping the fork and soil together!!(dh used to do the digging, but now it's a joint effort!)
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: consequences of short cuts
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2007, 11:31:27 »
sue Steve, I feel the same. I think if i had a bigger plot I would consider using rotavator on clear soil but not to churn up the weeds!!
I do love digging. I find it very therapeutic but then i have really nice soil, no clay so I'm lucky i s'pose.
It's also given me kickass muscles and I've lost about 1/2 stone so I'm happy!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal