Author Topic: What to plant?  (Read 1060 times)

istanley24

• Not So New ...
What to plant?
« on: May 15, 2007, 15:42:27 »
Hi All,

I have been digging my plot and have not got round to planting anything apart from some varietys of potatoes.

I have a patch ready to plant in now, but not sure what to plant.  I did have it in mind to use it for Onions, shallotts and Garlic, but I think I may be to late for these crops?  Is that right, or will it be ok for me to get them in now?

If not, what would be good to plant now?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What to plant?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 15:50:15 »
Carrots, parsnips,cabbages,beetroot or radish, it might be a bit late to start off tommies but you could always buy some plants to put in. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 16:18:54 »
What about beans? dwarf ones if you don't want to bother with runners! I have just planted yellow and green ones and they are starting to show through. They take up space pretty quickly. Think you can still do peas to (hope so because my first ones are crappy and IF IT STOPS BLOODY RAINING FOR 5 MINUTES I want to plant more).
Lettuce, Florence fennel, tomato as plants if you can get some cheap? pumpkin, melon? If your weather allows you to?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 21:23:16 »
I’ve planted onions and garlic in a prepared bed several days ago, hope they take, also just about ready to plant some red / green cabbages and celery that was given to me by a neighbour. I suppose being a newbie it’s all a learning curve, give it a go and see what happens. 

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 22:31:54 »
Think you can still do peas to (hope so because my first ones are crappy and IF IT STOPS BLOODY RAINING FOR 5 MINUTES I want to plant more).

You can start your peas off in guttering, in a greenhouse. After 4-5 weeks you will have 2-3inch high plants for putting in the ground. I am on my 3rd successional sowing of peas using this method and have had 100% germination. The 2 sowings that have already been transplanted are well away climbing up the netting. The first is about 1ft high, the 2nd is about 6 inches, my third in the guttering is about 2 inches high.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 22:40:50 »
Courgettes, Squash!!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal