Author Topic: seed trays  (Read 1728 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
seed trays
« on: May 07, 2007, 02:29:41 »
Hi

I think i need more seed trays and googling i found this place

http://www.plantcell.demon.co.uk/cell_packs.htm

What do you think for £32 I can pick up a mixed pack that would give me more than enough seed trays to keep me going??

Cambourne7

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: seed trays
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:33:10 »
I've gone over to that type of tray from the multi-multi plug trays.

More flexible - ie, I only bring on say 6 Lettuces of a variety at a time, or 12 Brassica, or 20 Beans etc.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 11:17:03 »
I've found the six cell ones very useful. Like Tim , I only grow a succession of a few things at a time too so a small amount of cells is ideal rather than mucking about with a larger tray of small modules when things germinate and develop at different rates.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 13:35:00 »
I have found that plant pot carriers which come in the same range are better because they have square cells, the ones in question here are slightly oblong.

These can double as cell trays and carriers! and when space is at a premium this works well.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 16:19:38 »
I've found the six cell ones very useful. Like Tim , I only grow a succession of a few things at a time too so a small amount of cells is ideal rather than mucking about with a larger tray of small modules when things germinate and develop at different rates.

Pity this thread didn't occur a bit earlier. Our first year growing a wider variety of plants: used large trays and hadn't allowed for different germination rates. Made a note for next year - use smaller trays.  :)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 23:09:51 »
I buy the seed trays with 40 modules (8 x 5)  then cut them down the seams to give four sets of ten (2 x 5). Then, if the seed types germinate at different times, they can be swopped into different propagating trays.  That way they all end up grouped according to what stage of growth and/ or conditions required.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 02:14:38 »
The trays i am using now are all cut up into 6's or 8's at this stage but they fall apart like tissue paper. I have enough i think to do me for most of this season. Then I need to work out what i need but cant do that until i build my perminant mini greenhouse ( failed to get the freecycle one i wanted and get some shelving sorted to see what room i have. And the mini greenhouse i have now is full.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:04:49 »
Has anyone used this type of cell/pack?

http://www.plantcell.demon.co.uk/single%20pots.htm

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 20:36:02 »
I sometimes use the pots as they fit together well on staging, haven't got any posh holders though! My medium sized chilies are in some this year, ran out of 5" round pots... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 20:52:37 »
I buy the seed trays with 40 modules (8 x 5)  then cut them down the seams to give four sets of ten (2 x 5). Then, if the seed types germinate at different times, they can be swopped into different propagating trays.  That way they all end up grouped according to what stage of growth and/ or conditions required.

cor, what a good idea ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal