Author Topic: brandywine tomatoes  (Read 1417 times)

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
brandywine tomatoes
« on: May 11, 2007, 11:04:40 »
Does anyone know if this is bush or vine ??

cheers

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Re: brandywine tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 11:15:19 »
I know there are a few varieties of brandwine about but most I've read about are cordon/vine

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 11:46:34 »
thanks Biscombe  :) Did a quick search and mine are the vine type

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:17:53 »
Yep they are cordons.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:57:55 »
Brandywine Sudduths strain I grew last year was cordon but not very tall. :)

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 13:08:01 »
did you pinch out the sideshoots Tora ?  I haven't with my early sown few and the biggest one, which is quite short, is looking really healthy and has 5 lots of flowers....

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 13:15:08 »
No I didn't. My plants did rather well and had big fruits. Unfortunately woodlice (very hungry bunch) ate most of them before I did!

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 13:35:31 »
I'll leave the first few then and maybe pinch out some of the later sowing to see the difference  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 18:47:13 »
I grow several types of Brandwine,most are late season beefsteak types,they are indeterminate which have large fruits that can grow to over a pound easily. There is one,the Landis Valley strain which is also an indeterminate but the plant is a little smaller and the fruit more round and smooth,these fruits only get to 1/2 pound and it is a mid season fruiter. All the others have grown very large for me, fruit and plant alike. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 19:02:59 »
didn't realise there were different types of brandywine toms :-[ , catalogue says that it is a large thin skinned tom upto 450g, so sound like the larger type but the largest plant seems quite short to me - perhaps becauase i didn't pinch out ?? Will wait and see what harvest brings  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 19:40:18 »
The original Brandywine was pink and potato leaved,there are several strains.

Brandywine(that is it's name) pink,tall,potato leaf,1-11/2 pounds.Late season,beefsteak.Irregular shape, green shoulders.1885 Amish heirloom.

Brandywine Red.( it's correct name) comes potato leaf and regular leaf as two types of seed.1 pound.Ribbed shoulders,not usually with the green.

Brandywine Sudduths Strain,considered the best by many growers,1-2 pounds,pink.Ribbed shoulders without the green.

Brandywine OTV(off the vine) a cross between Yellow Brandywine and an unknown red,potato leafed yield is better than Brandywine,likes warm weather.Ribbed shoulders,red  with some slight greening ,1 pound.

Brandywine Red(Landis Valley strain) regular tomato leaf, more smooth fruits than the others, High yields 1/2 pound. Significantly earlier than all the others.

Yellow Brandywine Potato leaf 12 to 24 ounces, fruit size is variable.Slightly ribbed shape,not as much as the reds.

Yellow Brandwine(Platfoot Strain) Better yield than Yellow Brandywine,and even smoother shape.Potato Leaf.1-2pounds.Little earlier than the other yellow.

I grow all of the above

There is also a heart shaped one ,a plum and a black,but are not widely accepted as Brandywines.

I don't grow these as I grow Oxhearts ,other plums and several varieties of blacks.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 21:17:39 »
blimey Jeannine you do know your onions - I mean tomatoes !! ;D the variety I'm growing are (according to the catalogue) potato leaved, pink and dating back to 1800's.  not sure what the 'green shoulders' means ?? I'll maybe try the Brandywine Sidduths next year   :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 21:35:05 »
Picture your red/pink tomatoes and on the top,the nearest bit to the branch it is growing off, the top and to some degree down the sides are refferred to as the shoulders,then picture that part looking unripe.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 11:21:14 »
Just on Brandywine-I am not growing yellows this year(no space) but I have found they are at their best just the wrong side of fully ripe-when really ripe they taste a bit `flabby`?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 11:46:32 »
Cleo, I agree with that, I do think the Paltfoot has a better taste though. I am jsu using up my others and will switch the yellows to Platfoot totally when they are gone. XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal