Author Topic: Planting out regular shooting spude  (Read 892 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Planting out regular shooting spude
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:37:17 »
I know this is a no no and normally wouldn't dream of doing it but......

I have a sack of last years spuds that I grew,there is no way I can use them all now, there is simply too many,many are sprouting beautifully. If I a planted them in black spud bags  in my back garden would I being causing a problem. There are no veggies anywhere near my home or my neighbours,just flowers and my fruit trees in pots.

What do you think. I would not put them on the lottie or indeed even home if there were veggies around.

It just seems a shame to chuck them.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

David R

• Acre
Re: Planting out regular shooting spude
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:09:31 »
nothing to lose. only causes a problem if growing shop bought as may carry disease etc. if you had blight or other diseases last year it may make them prone, if not they should be ok.

lots of people save "seed" potatoes to carry on from one year to the next.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:10:00 »
One of the men at the lottie gave me some potatoes he grew last year. He said that he replants the small ones every year and eats the big ones.

I'd go for it, Jeannine. ;D

cj :)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 13:59:36 »
I would be inclined to say go for it too. :D

I noticed so many people at my allotment use their saved potato seeds every year  and they have a huge crop, very healthy growth and everything.

In my old garden I never grew potatoes and yet my tomatoes suffered from severe blight. I can't help thinking like 'is it really worth buying certified seeds?'...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 14:16:49 »
Go girl, I did it last year.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 14:33:27 »
nothing to lose

flowerdew says its ok in his no work garden book - whole list of saved seeds that can be used from year to yaer - spud is one of em!

flowedew is great and if its good enough fo him its good enough for me

also a friend of mine planted some seeds out of a chili he bought in local supermarket

wonderful results

go for it!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 18:32:44 »
Well then I will, thank you, I didn't want to cause a problem and I know those spud bags would come in usefull for something. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 18:34:02 »
Actually then, would it be still safe if I put the bags alongside my lottie path,I have no blight. XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal