Author Topic: Idiots guide to composters?  (Read 1471 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Idiots guide to composters?
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:20:10 »
My book suggestes two options: buy a proper one or make a big box from five old pallets.  But does it really need to be in a box or covered?  Can't I just throw all my composting raw material in a heap at the back of the plot in the area that I'm not going to get around to using for some time yet?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Idiots guide to composters?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:27:08 »
The walls around the pile act as insulation and help keep it together and WARM.  The composting process is a hot one.  They also keep it tidy, because birds like to poke around in it (worms) and the scatter the stuff around.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:31:37 »
You can throw all the stuff in a heap and let it compost by itself.
But if you do not wall it in, your heap will be broadening when more stuff is piled on in stead of gaining height.
Also the heap will be less 'hot' and especially weed seeds are keen on grabbing the opportunity to germinate.

Covering prevents the rain from draining all the goodies out of the compost before you use it. It doesn't have to be "tupperwared", but just enough covered to keep most of the nutrients in. Use a piece of carpet or a bin liner. I covered mine with the large leaves of rhubarb.
Hope this helps.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:32:36 »
Many Councils sell plastic compost bins at subsidised prices. Think ours used to supply them free, but now charge £10 for a 330 litre one which is a bargain

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:36:13 »
Just read the advice given tot you in the thread in which you introduce yourself. If you are collecting big cardbord boxes to cover the weeds, you might as well use a big box as a compost bin. That way you don't have to build something and have the advantages of a higher heap.
Mind you, the box will eventually break down as well. But you probably need the compost by then.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:15:25 »
thanks for the replies - I'll knock something up out of some spare wood.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 12:50:00 »
Hi Si D, if you are going to make up a slatted composter line any gaps in the sides with old plastic compost bags stapled in place. That way the heap will get hotter and compost faster and don't forget to cover the top of the heap with a bit of old carpet or a couple of cardboard fruit boxes from a supermarket.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 15:53:30 »
You can't beat a dalek. They take an amazing amount of waste and produce excellent compost. Ours is producing loads of the beautiful brown crumbly stuff.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 19:56:00 »
I have never used anything other than four good stakes and a bit of wire netting, it seems to produce first rate compost with no problems. I have put an old plastic sack on the ground first to stop and root weed growing up into the compost and this makes it easier when taking the compost out.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 15:50:27 »
We use a combination of two old bedframes, with a wall for the back, and also we have 5 daleks!  You have to remember that on windy days empty daleks could end up anywhere.  All the stuff is in various stages of composting, and also store leaf-mould at the house.  (we have a large enclosure for leafmould on the allotment as we have a lot of trees).
The Tuscan Beaneater

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 15:56:50 »
We use a combination of two old bedframes, with a wall for the back, and also we have 5 daleks!  You have to remember that on windy days empty daleks could end up anywhere.  All the stuff is in various stages of composting, and also store leaf-mould at the house.  (we have a large enclosure for leafmould on the allotment as we have a lot of trees).
Thats how I got my Dalek, caught it rolling down the road :D ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 18:29:26 »
I got mine from my local council for a reduced cost of £8 as opposed to paying £30 from a shop. Try here:

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/in_your_area/in_your_area.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 18:39:17 »
I have 5 daleks, 4 cheapys from the council and one got given to me the other day, as I was driving out of the lottie a lady was stood there with this dalek saying her sons getting rid of it and do I want it, bosh straight on the lottie, don't normally talk to strange women but this was a bargain. :P ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal