Author Topic: Shredders  (Read 1320 times)

Stephen

• Not So New ...
  • Still digging...
Shredders
« on: May 09, 2007, 15:05:59 »
Does anyone know about garden shredders? I've heard they make quick work of stuff that is hard to compost and can make useful mulch. I'm thinking of buying one (as cheaply as pos) and have seen one at Wickes for £99. Is that a good price? Some of them are incredibly expensive...

Normie

• Not So New ...
Re: Shredders
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 15:35:21 »
From what I've read there are 2 main types:

1) The material is passed thru a mechanism a bit like a cork screw. The material is "crushed" in to pieces. This sort has the advantage that it is self feeding, quieter and less prone to blocking up.

2) The cheaper models usually has a cutting blade. I think these are more prone to blocking if the material is not carefully fed in.

I've only used the corkscrew type (Bosch AXT I think) - from a hire shop.

Cheers,
Ian

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 16:26:09 »
I bought a cheap shredder (well, not THAT cheap) with a blade mechanism.  Biggest waste of money ever.

I guess if you have a large quantity of evenly shaped dry twigs, it'd be perfect.  Anything else - forget it.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 16:30:09 »
I totally agree with Mel, a complete waste of money - ours was about the £70 mark from B&Q 4 years ago.   I would love a really good one which really did the job but they are just too expensive. 

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 16:51:28 »
Re Bosch, this site might help: guy has a bit of an obsession methinks....

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/action,post/topic,31407.0/num_replies,3

Anyway, it does look as if you have to pass the £100 mark to get a worthwhile machine.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 16:58:40 »
Son-in-law and me bought one between us. At the time I had a lot of conifer branches to get rid of. I found it was ok for the woody branches but the small stuff  just went straight through. Didn't think much to it, probably would have been quicker to make a few trips to the recycling site. Cost £100

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 18:16:17 »
Bought the best - £300 or so - sold it soon after!

Petrol motor noise can be offensive. Jamming can be a pain. DON'T shred Euphorbia.

Electric can be limiting in range & underpowered.

Organic Gardening today show a Ryobi for £122 - they should be able to answer questions?

Which must have done a recent report?

Do NOT expect magic &, despite my venture, don't go cheap. IMHO - whatever that might mean!!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 19:33:36 »
Was given a JCB model and despite other peeps dislike of the brand, I have had no problems with it.

it is a blade mechanism, with a max diameter of 30mm.  It does jam from time to time, but that is more due to operator impatience!

I use it to shred the neighbour's fig tree branches and leaves, sweetcorn stalks, sunflower stalks and blackberry prunings.  Last years prunings were all composted and ready by this Feb.

If you want it for things like jasmine, honeysuckle or ivy prunings you would be wasting your time.

I noticed the Wickes model and in comparision to the JCB model, I think the feeder opening on the Wickes model is better, but may not be for the risk adverse ;) and I think that it would be easier to make sure that all of the chippings go into the collection bag.  That is also a bit fiddly with the JCB - but hey it was free :D

Hope that helps a bit.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 23:27:02 »
We have had an Al-Ko shredder for about 25 years.  It has worked extremely well for all the years we have had it, and shows no sign of giving up.

SMP, you have been extremely lucky with your JCrapB shredder.  Perhaps because you were given it.  Certainly would not waste money on their not-so-cheapo rubbish.

valmarg

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 00:34:42 »
I've had a McCulloch one about 10 years and it's been well worth having. But you need patience,it's not like industrial ones you see on the council where you just chuck stuff in and it fires out bullets.

My main advice- I wouldn't buy one now without seeing it working first so would rather go second hand out of the paper.Round here they're quite often advertised, probably by people who bought them expecting miracles.

And if it has horizontally spinning blades,keep them sharp.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 00:46:24 »
I bought myself  a powerfull (5 HP)  lawn mower and use that to shred stuff. Just put it in a pile and run over it a few times. Anything it cant shred either goes on the bonfire or to the tip.

As I have to have a lawn mower anyway (& have space to keep it), I only need one gadget not two.

The only down side is that I keep having to file the blades - about once a month.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Stephen

• Not So New ...
  • Still digging...
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 09:28:03 »
Thanks for all the wise advice. It sounds like you get what you pay for! I think I'd rather save the money and either hire a good one or chop the stuff up and take it to the recycling centre...

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 22:24:51 »
My Al-ko's been going for about 20 years, we use it all the time, all prunings go into it.     It doesn't like cordyline leaves, though.
The Tuscan Beaneater

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal