Author Topic: security  (Read 1356 times)

paulg

• Not So New ...
security
« on: May 01, 2007, 19:54:51 »
Reading through some of the other topics and posts it seems like most people have a fence around their allotment site. My site is completly open so anyone can wander on. The agent told me there is never any vandalism or theft but is it normal to have an open site. Do not want to invest time and cash on the wrong site :-\

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: security
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 20:22:33 »
all i can say is walk around and chat to people and ask them then make youre decision cheers mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 21:32:47 »
How many other people on the site? Did you have a look round theirs to see what was being grow?  Maybe you could tell from that.

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 22:16:24 »
The site where my Dad lives is open, always has been and apart from the odd bit of fruit or veg going missing or a bit of childish messing about there was never anything major stolen like tools.

That said he does live in a village so a smaller community does mean that you will get caught out and it's mainly kids who are the culprits.
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

tuinman

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 11:15:24 »
yes a fence is defiantly better, we have a fence on one side and a canal the rest of the way round our complex but they still get in some how to break into the garden houses and sheds. you can never be to secure.

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 14:27:36 »
we have a fenced site with two gates one for cars and another the locals to walk both gates have a pad lock on them, having said that the fence had to be repaired as someone had cut through it and kids get under the gate where you walk through, if they wanna get in they will get in

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 15:21:39 »
Hmm we have a big fence around the site, and it is locked. You must lock the gate after you when you come in and again when you leave. Each shed has a bolt, it is up to each one to decide whether or not to put a padlock on. MY OH insisted on a padlock, I can't see anyone pinching my old rubbish.
I think there is probably a case for the site to be fenced, it would seem wise to deter vandals and veg pinchers. But perhaps it depends where it is? In an urban area, that would make sense.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 16:58:07 »
Any security is always a good thing. It makes you feel more secure about your stuff. There is less chance of the opportunist criminal doing their thing as it is not easily accessable therefore they will move on. Most will usually go for the easy pickings though there will always be the odd one who wants a challenge....

Around January I had a car ram into my allotment hedge but it was stopped by a tree stump! I repaired the fence and put razor-wire on the inside. The council have since put up a wire mesh fence 7ft high with wooden gates 6ft . I have left my inner gate, inner fence and razorwire. As for the bushes along the fenceline - I am gonna let them grow and grow and grow. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal