Author Topic: Another Squash problem  (Read 1684 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Another Squash problem
« on: May 09, 2007, 23:00:06 »
A couple of my squashes seem to have burst their stems open! Anyone have any idea what I did wrong?
I have sown a couple more in case they don't survive. (It 's looking doubtful), and I don't want the same problem again as that's the last of my seeds now.
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Another Squash problem
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 23:06:28 »
New one on me, wait for Jeannine..

8)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 23:13:32 »
Cooeee, Jeannine................ ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 23:33:01 »
You are so funny!!

I know of 4. reasons why you might get split stems.

1. the plant has been damaged in some way and the split it usually across the stem. Wind or rough handling.

2. Sometimes a surge of growth can split a stem,or if the stem has been bent it will split

3.There is a disease of squash and similars called gummy blight,it is caused by a fungus,the stem splits are along it's length,not all the way though and there is a sticky gummy stuff on the wounds.However the are  leaves usually with brown spots . The fungus can stay in the soil and it can be  carried in seeds, often from home saved. The plants will die if it is this.

4. There is another one  caused by the squash borer where the stem splits a little ,this in itself is not such a big deal  unless it is at ground level as the plant will not die from this one but  the squash borer enter through the split it will travel up eating the interior and the plant will die.

You can prevent this by wrapping silver foil round the stem of the plants

Take a a close look

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 23:47:12 »
Thanks Jeannine, pretty sure it's not fungus, but I will have a close inspection tomorrow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:39:58 »
I usually break the stems of one or two when potting them up; the answer to this is to plant a few extra seeds. I've had stems splitting lengthways (after the potting up stage) every year, and I've never lost a plant as a result. Don't panic, but handle the split plants carefully for a while.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 23:54:53 »
On checking this morning, I see that the stems have split lengthways. No sign of fungus, so I have wrapped them in silver foil.........and crossed my fingers. :-\

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 07:50:56 »
I have wrapped them in silver foil...

I bet they look like they are having highlights! ;D

cj :)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 08:30:42 »
i dont prick squashes out anymore. i plant two seeds in each small pot, then if both come on, i kill off the smaller one. mean, i know, but this means i dont have to disturb the babies when young. once they have a few leaves, and are ready to be planted on site, they can usually take a little bit of handling.

Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 08:44:51 »
This year, I have put most big seeds in individually. I suddenly realised how many seeds I was wasting, as most germinated, and then I had too many.

cj :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 12:16:24 »
I damaged the stem on one of my gherkin plants and in fact I left it alone and it seems to have fixed itself!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal