Author Topic: Watering  (Read 1297 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Watering
« on: May 09, 2007, 09:40:14 »
Being a bit new at all this I'm currently watering every bit of veg when I come home from work every day (unless its rained enough) but I'm starting to wonder if I should be this obsessive about it. I know things like toms and cucumbers need a daily water, but does the rest of it?
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
Re: Watering
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:12:00 »
Hi there  :)

there is a school of thought that says 'treat em mean keep em keen' the less surface watering they have the deeper the roots grow in search of water.  I know some people on this site don't have access to water on their plots so they plant them up and let them go. 

I tend to water stuff I plant out for a while till it looks settled and also keep seedlings well watered.   Having said that I have watered a little more recently due to the dry spell........ I'm relatively new to this too, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to put us right  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 11:40:08 »
I have always believed that even Tomatoes preferred a good watering every so often - rather than a daily gesture?

Whatever, do give a good 1/2 - 1 gallon per plant - depending. I reckon!

Same applies to other veg. I have NOT watered anything so far, despite the drought. And, again, there is no point in giving little & often. This just pans the surface & draws the roots up ??

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 12:39:20 »
Remember not to feed them if they're dry - make sure they're well watered first, then feed. 

Last year we gave everything a thorough soaking, then mulched (about 2 inches) with very well rotted horsey stuff.  This kept the surface from drying out, and it was always damp underneath, even though we'd gone several days without watering.  And it's fantastic to dig in afterwards.  New fruit trees need lots of water in their first few years, till they're established.

Also it's better to water at night, or very early in the morning - like dawn chorus time.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 12:52:18 »
Thanks guys :)

Think I'll keep up the daily watering of the tomatoes and cucumbers as they're in grow bags or pots so will try out fast, but I'll cut back on the rest for a while and see how they do. I'd not thought about how regular surface water would cause the roots to stay near the surface!

:)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:57:48 »
Remember not to feed them if they're dry - make sure they're well watered first, then feed. 

Great advice - never thought about it before but it makes good sense.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 15:06:01 »
As said above Cuke, don't be a slave to the watering can as I was last year, let the roots search for there own water, they are like kids you spoil them everyday and they will expect it everyday. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal