Author Topic: wheres all the rain  (Read 11045 times)

compostclara

• Not So New ...
  • every day a new miracle
Re: wheres all the rain
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2007, 17:15:36 »
All the rain on our allotment site has gathered on my seedbed.  Carrot, radish, rocket and beetroot seeds all now under about 3 inches of water :'(   Much more forecast. :'( :'( :'(

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2007, 18:35:09 »
Well so much for my new (ex rhubarb pulp) water butt. It had obviously gone in but then leaked out again around  the tap. My son had crawled in the barrel to tighten the tap because he's long and thin but obviously hadn't got it tight enough so it has leaked out. It was very hard to tighten. Going to fit an 'o' ring seal on the inside to see if that helps it tighten.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2007, 18:58:38 »
Hi Kea

we had a similar problem last year using a recycled blue plastic storage barrel, what OH did was to take the tap off, apply generous amounts of silicone sealant to both inside edges of the barrel and tap, bolt the tap on and smooth excess off with a wet finger, leave for 24 hrs before connecting to guttering, hope this is of some help
 :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2007, 22:00:22 »
been up to the site today and someone has tried to unhook my waterbut and put it on there site.

I have dragged it back but the taps loose so all the rain has leaked out  :'(

Going to have to go back tomorrow and fix it.

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2007, 02:21:59 »
I know I risk being barred from this site but...............
      I want the torrental rain and high winds to stop  :o
after a week , my poor strawberries are threatening to give up
and die :(
 my kids will hate me if this happens :(
They are still naive enough to think that I am a terrific gardener ;D ;D ;D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2007, 11:09:21 »
As long as animals don't start trooping past in pairs, I don't mind.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2007, 11:32:23 »

As long as animals don't start trooping past in pairs, I don't mind.
Just saw a pair of lilly beetles. Or does that not count? (they always seem to come in pairs).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2007, 13:33:40 »
They're obviously unclean animals, and they tend to come in regiments anyway. Be thankful for small mercies, and pray that they were both the same sex.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2007, 14:42:46 »
The rain is here in London - nice and sunny until we decided to go and take down a greenhouse that a friend has given us. We all go mighty wet so brought boys home and left my lovely husband taking out the panes of glass and hoping that it comes down ok. The sun is back out again do I risk going back to help? haha maybe in a short while. It looks mighty hard to take the alumuim frame apart I can see it not going back together.....

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2007, 14:45:16 »
I've always thought it rains more in May than April,don't know why they call it April Showers  ??? ......should be May showers.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2007, 14:59:29 »
Sunny spells this morning, now its aboulutely cat and dogging it down.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2007, 15:11:42 »
Rained over here a little earlier but then stopped again & the sun is now out albeit weakly.   It kept raining lightly yesterday on and off whilst I was up the plot but I wanted to get me beans in so just ignored it.   Eventually it stopped but I was the only one up there.

It's definately made my plot a whole lot easier to dig.   Only problem is that my waterbuts still are full so I say bring it on

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2007, 18:25:55 »
My plot's looking damp, but it's still relatively dry (not completely so) a few inches down. If the torrents they're promising in the next couple of days actually arrive, that'll sort it.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2007, 19:12:08 »
It was the May Fair in Richmond today, so it was bound to rain.  Held off for the crowning of the May Queen and dancing around the Maypole and also for No. 1 son to parade around the Green as part of the Air Cadets band.  It also held off long enough for us to get home, me to get changed and arrive at the lottie - then the heavens opened. :'(

In between the downpours I was out there digging and planting sweetcorn,  managed to get 36 plants in but not time to get the seeds in.  During the really heavy showers, I also managed to get the shed tidied up a bit.

More turbo digging tomorrow am :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2007, 09:27:31 »
It has been good to us in Hull for the past few days, it rained well on the night on three occasions but was sunny during the day except for yesterday when it rained heavy at about 3pm,exactly as we were packing up from the lottie for the day clever rain eh. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2007, 09:40:58 »
No rain yesterday, and I was too shattered to do much when I was on the allotment. Now I've had a rest, it's forecast to throw it down! But I'd rather have the rain right now.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2007, 09:53:32 »
Got to the plot early yesterday and did manage to get quite a lot done. had put the celery in a couple of days earlier and they were looking pretty smart. Tied the sweet peas up again. Got the fleece off the carrots and got a lovely surprise at the size of them. Put some posts in to hold the blackberries up that are growing on the vacant plot next to mine up the path. Thought they would be easier to pick.lol. Had taken the squash and cougettes up to plant but the rain came down and stopped play, so went home to do some more potting up and tidying up in the GH. My daughter didn't have such a good time of it. She got up there about an hour before the rain. Thank goodness for the reclaimed shed they put up. Are not even gonna think about going today apart from picking some sage and pulling a couple of seeded onions (guess what were having for dinner. and of course some spring greens. I'm going to Wilkies just to browse of course. Whatever you are all doing. ENJOY
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2007, 10:42:31 »
The rain is here in Somerset! In a week, our plot has gone from being to hard to dig,to a bog! Managed to dig some spuds yesterday and dig a few feet,then the rain came in again. Sat in the shed witha cup of tea, and discovered that the roof leaked. Rained all yesterday afternoon, most of the night, and hasn't stopped yet!
 Back to the knitting I think.
 One question! Why does it always rain on our weekend off?

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2007, 12:23:24 »
I got up really early yesterday - as rain forecast to come in by 11 am. I went straight to the lottie to set up the brassica bed - weed control fabric - plant summer caulis etc - construct cloche with timber/piping and cover with enviromesh. Finished at 11 am on the dot.

Came back home and blow me....it stayed dry all day. I could have had a lie in! :-\

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2007, 13:04:10 »
It's raining cats and dogs here in Winchester.  Oops, I just stepped in a poodle.
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal