Author Topic: wheres all the rain  (Read 10809 times)

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
Re: wheres all the rain
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2007, 13:23:06 »
We have had lots here in Cleethorpes, we all got drenched on the seafront yesterday with the children..great fun as its not been cold, but not much good for allotmenting! Very wet under foot today but none pouring down so far...

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2007, 13:33:10 »
Here in Herts we have had 7.6 inches of rain since the 22 nd January ...  and I bet we have a hosepie ban in summer too !!!!!  ::) ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2007, 13:48:19 »
We have a whole inch forecast on Met check by tomorrow morning... Raining now so in for a spot of lunch... then back out to get a couple of rows of Parsnips in... done 7 of Carrots! Then pricking out/potting on in the greenhoses!
 ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2007, 14:35:43 »
Went to lottie yesterday, put some bits in the shed but absolutely cat and dogged it, even sat in the car at the gates waiting for a break just to open and shut gate. Went over again this morning sowed some PSB, put up some netting and planted some PFA,  ripped my 3/4 shorts, thunder lightening, heavy rain and walked home drenched and holding onto my ripped shorts keeping the old privates out of harms way that was my morning how was yours.  :-[ :o :P ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2007, 14:48:57 »
planted out the runners, transplanted lots of different chinese leaves..thanks jeannine and pye, planted swede, kohl rabi in peat pots, sowed kohl rabi, radish, turnips, last 2 rows of carrots, beetroot..I pinched out the tomatoes and planted the melons..it started to rain when we came home  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2007, 15:02:42 »
Must have bin the sight of them there legs that brought the rain on Kev
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2007, 15:11:32 »
Rained off here... come in and got dry clothes going back to work in the Greenhouses after a coffee...
 ;D

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2007, 15:42:08 »
very very heavy here in south wales this morning. currently light but dark clouds ahead. if my water butts haven't filled up then they never will ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2007, 16:10:31 »
Hi Kea

we had a similar problem last year using a recycled blue plastic storage barrel, what OH did was to take the tap off, apply generous amounts of silicone sealant to both inside edges of the barrel and tap, bolt the tap on and smooth excess off with a wet finger, leave for 24 hrs before connecting to guttering, hope this is of some help
 :)

Thanks Greenscrump,
I was thinking of doing that as well. The problem now is my tall, thin son who could reach the bottom of the drum easily had an acident on his bicycle and took of large quantities of skin on his arm and knee and lots of bruising. So he can't do the job so now I will have to try and reach the bottom of the drum!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2007, 19:06:29 »
I think most of it is in Derby... I'm on my third set of now dry clothes..
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2007, 19:08:21 »
we've started with local flooding now..5 days ago, it was dry as dust !!  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2007, 19:23:39 »
It absolutely threw it down all afternoon. It seems to have stopped now, but looking at the lake in the road outside, we probably had at least an inch.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2007, 12:49:30 »
were on about 4-5 inches here i have a bucket in the garden i am marking the rain on.

Its been raining on and off here today but the problem is that the rain when it comes is heavy and its replaced my a strong wind when i left. Its only 5 degrees outside!!

Went up to the plot saturday and manged to get a couple of hours done but noticed on the way out that my water butt tap was leaking but 2 late to fix it :-(

I need to find the sealant in the garage tomorrow and get it fixed while there is still rain forcast i have however got anything that will hold water up there waiting to catch the drips on the opposite side of the shed where there is no butt fitted yet and in paths where the rains not needed to water anything!! So i should be able to pour the water back into the butt when the sealant drys.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2007, 12:56:40 »
where's the rain??? It's all here mate, where it has been bucketing down for 3 or 4 days!!  ;D
No hope of any gardening this weekend ha ha, hopefully next weekend will do the trick for all the bits and bobs I want to do, including a second attempt with my pitiful peas.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2007, 13:03:26 »
getting loads of rain now, far too much, lol cant get on the plot, can only potter about in the shed and greenhouse.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2007, 15:22:58 »
LOADS here in Notts overnight  ;D The next bit of sunshine and everything will go BOING  ;D

Pity I forget to put the tarpaulin over the back of the pick-up truck last night and I've got a few holes in the house roof. Oh well  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2007, 18:22:00 »
Don't think it was the sight of my legs Shirlton, it was where my rip was situated  :-[ get the drift. Still been raining here most of the day on and off.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal