Author Topic: Strange flowers on tomatoes.  (Read 25066 times)

amphibian

Re: Strange flowers on tomatoes.
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2007, 20:49:46 »
I had loads of these last year, I think I've still got pictures somewhere (will have a look). I had it on Green Moldovan and Gregory Altai.

However I also had strange cristate flowers on my aubergines, including one with 14 stigma...

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2007, 06:37:38 »
I am totally lost !  I've a few mutant flowers too this year, at least one on a Marmande (which is in the g/h, must try and get it out before the roots are too embedded) and had one of those aub flowers last year.

Will get out there with a notebook tonight and see what's what.  I can't be bothered with the hand pollinating thing so after I've IDd them, I think I'm going to have them off.

Mine have been cold too.

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2007, 07:10:40 »
Couldn't wait ...........

1.  SS Pineapple

2.  Marmande

3.  A different SS Pineapple

and finally back to the first SS Pineapple, what are the spots ?  Looks like some kind of bug, but can't see any ?   :o

Please help a poor idiot.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2007, 07:36:15 »
Last year I had cristate flowers on Black Seaman, which produced cristate toms. I should have taken pics.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2007, 21:17:13 »
Last year I had cristate flowers on Black Seaman, which produced cristate toms. I should have taken pics.

Wots that mean then?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2007, 22:48:04 »
A cristate plant is one in which the growing point develops, for reasons which aren't clear, into a line. So the flowers are pulled out in one direction. I never photographed those, but here's a cristate dandelion to give you the idea.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2007, 23:26:18 »
Ahh.  Thanks for that Robert.  Last year I had some beefsteak type toms which were definately elongated, sort of wide & lumpy though I didn't notice what the flowers they started as looked like.  Tasted great though.  This year I have notlced loads of large flowers so I shall keep an eye on them & see if they develop & if so into what.

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2007, 23:38:39 »
This is a very interesting thread... I have planted about five different varieties of toms and put them out in the garden slightly early because of the good weather here in Manchester, and quite a few have this strange flower.

Perhaps the cause is the cold, anyway, I am just going to let them do their thing and see what happens, quite fancy "strange" tomatoes... hmm"
Lin

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2007, 23:53:42 »
Mary Mary, don't forget that many of the older toms and some of the beefsteaks just  naturally are odd and bumpy.Thewre is nothing wrong with them. Most of the toms I grow fall into this description, they are supposed to look like that,the hybrids on the other hand are well fomed and neat more like the shop toms.

Today I saw a really weird tomato in my greenhouse that looked like 10 or more tomatoes all joined together, then I remembered that is was a Pocket Book and that is exactly what they look like,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2007, 21:25:59 »
I don't mind at all what my toms look like only that they are happy, healthy & taste good.  I remember my disappointment years ago when I first grew tomatoes & they tasted just like shop bought ones & I'd put all that effort into growing them - you've guessed it Moneymaker.  ;D

Jeannine I'm very impressed that you have tomatoes forming already.  I've got lots of flowers but no sign of a fruit on any of them.  :(

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2007, 22:01:21 »
well my Cuor di bue have produced them. One flower on the first truss is extra large, but the main stem grows normally. The marmades have also done it, with the main stem stopping growth in a flower truss

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2007, 22:37:08 »
I think I had an aubergine that did that last year - we all spent ages trying to work out what variety it was.

amphibian

« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2007, 00:14:30 »
I also had a Green Moldova last year which set a low truss from the tip of which emerged the main stem.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2007, 07:34:48 »
Just an update on my toms. Having removed the initial "dandelion" like flowers from them they are all now growing and flowering normally and very healthy. Have to wait to see what next year brings now ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal