Author Topic: Need to identify tiny plant in a hurry  (Read 1967 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Need to identify tiny plant in a hurry
« on: May 03, 2007, 21:02:24 »
In my school project garden  which is to be cleared out tomorrow there is lots of a very very low creeping plant with very tiny leaves that is only an inch or so high. I spreads  and look like a green carpet. I am not good with non edibles but this is pretty and I am wondering if it will transplant, it almost seems to be growing out of the concrete slabs. It is being pulled out before Tuesday, Does anyone know what it is from the description, I don't have time to take a picture now. Is it worth saving

XX Thank you Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Need to identify tiny plant in a hurry
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 21:21:34 »
Could it be Kenilworth Ivy?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 21:22:14 »
Might be Creeping Jenny, aka Moneywort - you could google for an image and see what you think?  If it is, I have to admit that I love it, but it is invasive  :(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 21:31:01 »
Just googled. no. the leaves are so tiny about the size of a small lentil. When I look at it I feel I want to tap it ,it looks cushiony.no height atall really, it looks a bit like thyme but smaller
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 21:50:16 »
Have just looked in Alan Titchmarsh's article on weeds in this month's GW and can't see anything like you describe.  Therefore it must be a plant to cherish!  ;D

Dig some up, put it in a pot, see how it goes.   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 21:52:01 »
Does it have a minty or apple smell?
If so possibly Corsican Mint or Lawn Chamomile..
 ???

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 21:52:49 »
Is it 'mind your own business', can't think what the botanical name is at the moment?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 22:13:29 »
It isn't chomomile ir Corsican mint, but |I think I have found one that it might be, Baby Tears, if I am right can anyone tell me anything about it

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 22:17:33 »
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 22:22:20 »
Yes this is where I found it but the leaves on the picture actually seem to bigger than on the actual plant. It seeme so be self sowing in cracks and crevices etc, there is load of it has to be pulled out XX Jeannine

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 22:25:23 »
i've got something similar that just looks a bit weedy, so i have been pulling it out but if it looked nice and green and lush, i may have left it to cover a multitude of other ills.

if you like the look of it try it.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 08:35:45 »
Jeannine - could it be herniaria glabra (smooth rupturewort)? Your description sounds exactly like it. It's a sweet little thing, perfect for in between paving stones, etc. but can be very invasive. There are some nice pics on Google Images. x

ShadyLady

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 14:52:15 »
Helxine, or Baby's Tears looks pretty but can run riot in the garden. It can be grown as a pot plant.

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 18:08:30 »
I was thinking of baby's tears or mind your own business.
It is pretty but it will take the place over if you ae not carefull
 If you want to transplant, keep it very damp to start with
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 19:42:04 »
I think it is Baby Tears, we pulled loads of it up on Friday, it seemed to have started in a raised bed, then gone over the side and crept out in all directions. I left some on the raised bed to wait to see if I could transplant it, but it has to go on Tuesday . Thank you for all the help XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal