Author Topic: Pictures for Carolinej Jeannine working on porcelain figurine  (Read 1357 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Hi Caroline, this si me working on a porcelain k[lace drape figurine, S|he is unfired  porcelain ca=lay, ther lace \Iam deigning her dress in is soaked in porcelain slip. it is placed on the figur then fired, the cotton fibres burn away leaving delicat oorcelain lace behing, she is then glazed anf fired again, then goes through baout 4 more firings as the china paining is done

The other one ios a porcelain doll made in a similar way, about 8 forings on her, She is with my cat, Dolls name is sugar Britches.

I taught this work in my own porcelain studio for about 12 years.

I have a kiln here too. XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 22:56:31 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Pictures for Carolinej Jeannine working on porcelain figurine
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 06:44:27 »
Wow! Thats amazing!

I am also impressed by the cat. How on earth did you get it to stay still for the photo?!?

cj :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 08:07:59 »
Wow!! Jeannine you are a busy lady!!!! looks great and I love the cat! is this the same one that likes to get in the bath!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:09:41 »
Yes the cat is the same one in the water, it is very laid back and quite dopey, XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 18:29:44 »
i used to do ceramics in a different way. i made small animals in earthenware and sold at craft fairs i did it for 16 years then went off it and stopped 4 years ago i still have my kiln and am thinking of restoring and useing it as a hobby as selling crafts is hard work and i don,t think i could cope nowadays here is one of the few pieces
i still have  marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 18:55:36 »
Just LOVE that!!

Tried to find a photo of a tree stump that No1 took in Greece the other day - a real match - but ......??

And Jeannine - the hair??

Oh, just found it - & PS red eye? - not with cats!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 19:31:00 by tim »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 19:29:17 »
Marg, that is really special, you must restore your kiln and get going again, there are so may wonderful things to do these days. I still enjoy earthenware and I love to work on slip casting.. I enjoy china painting but I also adore dry brushing with acrylics.  When I taught ceramice it was mostly earthenware, it was several years before we changed our whole studio to just porcelain work. My kiln is not hooked up at the moment and I am having withdrawal symptoms !! Would your kiln go as high as a porcelain firing, maybe you would enjoy trying something different. I am very impressed with your art work, you must start again .

Tim,hair??  Mine or the dolls ? If the dolls , then it is a wig I made, if it is mine, it is exactly the same. The picture is about 10 years old, but the hair is just as long and the same colour. It never seems to change.

By the way, John also did his teaching certification in ceramics and was very good as lace draping which is what I am doing in the picture.

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 19:34:43 »
What a shame that such an artistic skill should be so financially unrewarding.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 20:32:10 »
Ooh, you are a talented lot! It must be so fulfilling to start with a lump of clay, and end up with something beautiful.

Oh, is it clay, or something completely different you use?

cj :)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 20:47:11 »
tim i just love that stump they have always facinated me
jeannine no the kiln would not go high enough for porcelaine or stoneware as it ran through a 13 amp plug and you need DC for higher temps it,s a hobby kiln really it needs a new regulater and a new lid i would like to get it done before i give up the day job funny some one rang up to ask me to do a craft fair yesterday
i loved doing them but modeling is very labour intensive it took over my life but also got me through some very hard times are you still making and teaching jeannine it,s magic creating something isn,t it almost as good as a good harvest from the plot ;D
marg
ps yes earthenware clay with underglaze colour and brush on glaze i didn,t get too technical just did my own thing
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 21:00:27 »
Wow Jeannine - I've said it before, you must be very patient and precise. Thats lovely - good to see you in action too! Marg I loooove the tree stump. You are so talented.

Tim - that stump is amazing. Looks like a scraggly sort of witch/alien reaching out.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 11:55:23 »
Wow amazing Jeannine, i was wondering what that pic was when you used it as your avator, i couldnt quite make out what you were doing.

Your talent continually amazes me.

The tree stump reminds me of the 'Tree of life' in the Disney Park in Florida.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 22:48:47 »
Ahhh Jeannine I used to teach Porcelain Doll Making too - in fact i was the first person in Australia to be given a scholarship with the Doll Artisan Guild to complete my Apprenticeship programme!  And did ceramics as a bit of fun on the side... Is that baby Sugar Britches?? I used to show my dolls - do you?

I brought my kiln and all my moulds over with me but found people unwilling to pay for the dolls/lessons/equipment over here so sold it all. In Australia the potential was huge - unfortunately in the UK i didn't find that at all.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 10:17:14 »
Well hello Olive Oil. I could have written that letter. Yes it is Sugar Britches, and yes I brought molds too,still stuck in the garage. I have about 30 in finished dolls that crossed the Atlantic too.

It is a great hobby int he US of course which is where I did all my training,I used to drive 230 miles each way for a class once a week !!!

I would never attempt to teach here,my students there wanted real hair wigs. hand blown glass eyed, pure silks and Nelona for clothes and I travelled widely to auctions for very old fabrics.

We taught wig making and costuming too.

It is a whole different approach and need I think.

I brought all my equipment, all my china paints and my Lladro paints, did you do any Lladro figurines.

I didn't bring all my body moulds as I had started poring my own composition bodies and brought a huge amount with me in the rough, but I brought about 150 heads moulds.

Here in Hull if I mention it,someone will say " Oh I collect porcelain dolls, I get them from the shopping channel or ".... well you know the rest.

It is a similar tale with the bears too. People think I am nuts if I metion the price of a yard of mohair!!!

No I never showed, I don't enter any competitions( tell you why another time) but I used to go and see.

Isn't it a small world, and here we are with 2 talents going to waste.Such a shame after all the training and dedication, I guess it will come here eventually bit not yet I fear.

I must get that ruddy kiln hooked up, trouble is ,it is really too big for the house I am in. I keep thinking of downsizing it bit then change my mind.

Lovely to chat dolls, pop some pictures on if you can, most of mine are still in packing cases.

Tell me what you preferred to do. I loved the repro's of course but I rather liked some of Doll artworks stuff too.

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal