Author Topic: Sweetcorn and Pumpkins??  (Read 826 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Sweetcorn and Pumpkins??
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:45:24 »
I am rapidly running out of space but still need to fit in my pumpkins, butternut squash,courgettes and gourds.Would it be ok to plant them amongst my sweetcorn or maybe my spuds or perhaps round my runner beans and peas.Any advice welcome as I am getting desperate.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Garjan

• Acre
Re: Sweetcorn and Pumpkins??
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:21:43 »
The three sister bed is a method in which squash, corn and beans are grown together. The squash covers the soil, the corn supports the climbing beans and the beans supply nitrogene.

So I guess that growing pumpkins (same famliy) and corn, or pumkins and beans should be possible as well.
A lot will depend on the space between the corn or beans and the space the pumpkins take up. Non-trailing courgettes can be very large plants and will hardly fit in between standard spaced corn. But if you spaced them further apart, then it could be okay.
Hope this helps.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 12:04:13 »
I have done this in a variety of ways  ;D

... but one I would not reccomend is bush french beans !!  Too difficult to get at without disturbing the sweet corn root !!  ::)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

gibbygib

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 13:36:23 »
Last year I planted butternut squash next to the sweetcorn and encouraged them to weave in and out of the sweetcorn as they take up a huge amount of space.  We had great harvests of both!  Not sure if you'd fit in the courgettes though as they don't sprawl so much.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal