Author Topic: So So Sad  (Read 5503 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: So So Sad
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 21:37:33 »
Maybe you should take him the jam and scones instead !! XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 22:00:34 »
Should he plant those direct, or start them off in pots ;D ;D ;D

cj :)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 07:59:03 »
Hi all,

We have had lots of newbies this year and the site is full and busy. If a site is being cleared I sometimes offer use of my petrol strimmer and do a patch for them.
I also offer surplus produce to take home. Sometimes I give a little tour of my plots.

We all do this on our site, people give stuff away and offer help without being intrusive. We don`t go onto other peoples  plots when the owners aren`t there and we always stick to paths. People helped me in the same way when I started, and still do. We also feel free to ask for help when we need it especially with things like lifting, carrying or building (many hands make light work) or opinions about plants and pests.

We don`t have a table but sometimes produce is left with a note in the car park or we just ask people if they want stuff. If we just left stuff in the car park without a note no-one would touch it `cus its not theirs. My plants are labelled with who passed them on.

I think we are lucky to have a site where people get along and newcomers are made welcome, where people are not left struggling with heavy work or impossible tasks but also have a sense of privacy on their own plots. Its worthwhile making a small effort to maintain that.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 08:16:31 »
We started lottie-ing last year, and so far have had from existing allotmenteers:

Half a plot with our own shed (can't really beat that can you?) to get us started, because there were no vacancies.

30 feet of horticultural polythene to cover our "new" greenhouse roof, when we got our own lottie.

Manure.

Cabbage plants.

Tomato plants.

And lots of tips and advice.  The allotments are individually enclosed by huge hedges, so if you want to be private you can be, but if the gate's open, then it's an invitation to visit if you want.  Sadly, there's nowhere to put a swaps table, but if there was, then I bet they'd be more than happy to contribute.

Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 09:46:09 »
We all pass spare plants  on .But a word of warning to anyone new to allotments ..
If you  are offered brassica plants make sure the guy who is giving them away ain't got clubroot in his garden ..
Better still grow your own  from seed...
I don't like being a wet blanket but it's summat you dont want ...
Cheers .. Jim

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 10:11:51 »
Good point, Growmore.  The ones we got were modular sown from his greenhouse, so I think we were safe there.

This year I reckon I'll be the one trying to give stuff away!  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 13:55:35 »
I had a walk into Captain Greedy,s garden this morning and wondered what some gardener would give to get their hands on trenches like these

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 13:57:00 »
Trench two

DAVY

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 14:09:17 »
Davy, when you say you 'had a walk into' this bloke's garden... I'm a bit confused. Is this his own garden, or his lottie plot, or what?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 15:06:53 »
Its his allotment There a 6 of us who are inter linked so we can look after each others allotments when need be

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal