Author Topic: Earthbox, anyone?  (Read 4220 times)

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
Re: Earthbox, anyone?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 15:01:36 »
I have no idea how to post pictures, so i posted an entry to a blog I don't keep anymore... the link is here
http://growthings.blogspot.com/2007/08/growbox.html

There are also links to a couple more sites showing how to build them.

Hope this helps.
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 17:17:16 »
Somehow, I managed to miss the beginning of this thread (maybe because I read yours from the 'latest posts') STHM. Link is very helpful. Thankyou. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 17:50:43 »
Following Bionic's original posting, I've so far  made up six one plant versions using some free Tesco's square buckits, some rectangular buckets (designed for paint rollers I think) that cost about £1.99 and a couple of quite large planters that were about a fiver (for my poshest plants!).  I'm not such a craftsman as bionic (and could really have done with a vice to hold the pipes steady) but they seem to have turned out to be functional and although I didn't make any topcovers (perhaps next year) the plants seem happier than the ones in  the ordinary containers.

Because of their size I don't think I could leave as long a gap between waterings as an Earthbox would allow but I can heartily recommend the method. Thanks Bionic :)

It's going to be really interesting to see what the roots have done when I empty them out at the end of the season.  If they've hung down into the water reservoir instead of just using the wick, I might line the wire base with some weed control fabric next year.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 19:40:28 »
I think I will have a go at making one, I will have a few storage boxes spare when I get around to clearing out my bedroom.
And I shall have a spare recycling box from the council, as we are getting two massive wheelie bins instead.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal