Author Topic: New garden  (Read 1159 times)

Bluey

• Not So New ...
New garden
« on: July 03, 2007, 14:23:54 »
I've not long moved into my first home, with a small garden that hasn't really been touched by the previous owners. Its roughly 4 metres wide by about 2 1/2 metres of mostly grass. It gets the sun most of the day and has fairly well drained soil. So my question is what 5 plants would you recommend?
Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: New garden
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 14:27:25 »
Bluey I would go for roses but i LOVE them.

It comes down to what you want from your gerden. As you get the sun all day you can go for a mediteranian garden or even something tropical.

How would you use the garden, BBQ, seating etc, in which case you you want to add shade.

What are the envionmental factors, are you on heavy clay soil? Are you overlooked? Does it need to be child/animal friendly.

And how much do you want to spend??

Cambourne7

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 14:50:32 »
something that smells good ;D
maybe put up some trellis and increase the number of plants you can have by growing some climbers: clematis, honeysuckle, jasmine...

Bluey

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 14:55:45 »
We're overlooked on all sides really though its not really a problem. There's a shady bit at the bottom from a neighbours tree where i think i might put some flag down as a seating area and a patio by the backdoor for things like seats and bbqs etc.  Next doors cat comes into the garden but other than that it doesn't need to be child or animal friendly. The soil isn't clay. The budget's as little as possible really. Still thinking about what i want to do with it design wise. Artistic ability is something i lack!
Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Owdboggy

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 14:06:39 »
Plant roses and we won't visit!
Ask your older sister, she has a very good eye for design. And I am sure you can get as many plants as you need for nothing if you ask the right person nicely.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 20:07:21 »
Cryptic, Owdboggy, verrrryyyy cryptic...

(strokes imaginary moustache)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 20:26:35 »
Hi Bluey.  You'll be able to get a lot more than five plants in an area that size.  But in the spirit of replying to your question may I suggest:  Lavender Hidcote, Rosemary Officinalis, Salvia Officinalis, Bay Laurel and any Thyme you fancy.  That will give you year round colour, attract insects, smell lovely and what's more they are all edible.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 20:32:13 »
Bluey - only just seen this so apologies for delayed response.

Best advice I was given was to buy something in flower every month so you always have something to look at. 

How much work are you willing to do?
Do you want to keep any grass?
Do you want a veg plot?
Formal? Tropical? Soft planting?

If I was on restricted space ;) I would give priority to climbers around the sides - get some vertical green up your fences - so a variety of clematis.  Some compact grasses for structure and lots of perennials for colour.  Cyclamen and helebores for the shady bit.

I can help with perennials, finally getting my head round how to do cuttings and splitting things!  I also have a large collection of gardening mags, and garden design books if you want me to leave them at the trading post next time we visit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal