Author Topic: What have you lost?  (Read 10370 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: What have you lost?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 22:45:52 »
One that some may remember from a long while back,

I lost my top set of teeth,  stop laughing, for them amongst us that do have dentures we know what its like to get a tomato seed under them, much like half a builing brick. Anyway i could not get it out so i thought i would wash it out under the tap..
Put my teeth onto the palm of my hand picked up the end of the hose turned the tap on and wached my teeth fly off into the middle of the potato bed. I had the blaster attached to the hose.
So off i went on hands and knees under the tatie tops looking for the teeth, every now and then popping up to see if anyone is watching, no one about, good, back down being very carefull not to kneel on them, other wise it would be soup and soggy bread till i got new ones.
Great i found them stood up with them in my hand and as i turned this voice said " have you not got a spade" it was me little old scrounger Percy the old bugger had been watching me all the time.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 22:48:51 »
LOL!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 23:35:13 »
chortling at this thread,don't know what I've lost ,can't remember...memory... ;D ;D ;D
sanity is overated

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 00:03:35 »
Common_Clay... you're marvelous!!

Thanks so much for starting this thread not only because I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyones posts but because I now feel less worried that I am the only one who frequently loses things...especially his marbles! 

Today it was a small pair of scissors that I had in the greenhouse. I used them to cut some tomato ties then wandered off to pick sweet peas. I'm sure I had them when I went into my parents bungalow but where???? I reckon my mother swept them up and now claims they're hers.  ::)

Like Jeannine it's usually glasses that vanish while my back is turned (or bent over). I find pairs amongst rows of carrots and other things. They slide out of my top pocket. I tried hanging them on those string things that wrap around your neck but, when I was teaching, children complained of being clunked in the back of the head as I lent over to check their work.  ;)

Once, when lost, my glasses turned up perched on top of my head. I so miss having hundreds of children around to keep an eye on me.  ;D

PS Jeannine the root of your phobia or sugar almonds and Rennie's had me hooting with laughter! (Sorry!!!!)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 00:19:31 »
Me too....I lost a pair of scissors my favourite sharp gardening ones I'm usuallyso careful with, things like ghat lost on my plot are usually never seen again. I think someone snoops around for lost stuff and collects it up.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 00:40:01 »
Me too....I lost a pair of scissors my favourite sharp gardening ones I'm usuallyso careful with, things like ghat lost on my plot are usually never seen again. I think someone snoops around for lost stuff and collects it up.

Borrowers?  ;D

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 09:25:28 »

Lost my new daughter once .did not miss her until I was back home, only missed her when I spied her nappies, ran all the way back to Woolworth's where I had left her outside in her pram, [you could leave your baby outside shops in those days] she was screaming her head off, enough to say you forgot me. my only excuse was I had only had her for three weeks. left my shopping on the bus once never set eyes on it again.
 June.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 10:27:50 »
My mother left my sister outside of the Co-op one day.... it was me who reminded her so we trundled rushed back... she was still there.

Sometimes it is better to say nothing I think.  :(

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 12:42:55 »
Ninnys, which metal detector did the person use, please? Need to buy one to locate 'treasure' such as missing watches, whatever, not The Staffordshire Hoard....

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 22:42:43 »
Wedding ring.  :( Keep having to tell my brother who made it for me that I'm just into everything with my hands so forget to put it on.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 22:47:12 »
Ninnys, which metal detector did the person use, please? Need to buy one to locate 'treasure' such as missing watches, whatever, not The Staffordshire Hoard....

Will ask him next time I see him Lishka  :)

Ninny

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 22:57:11 »
I lost my car in Morrison's car park, I felt such a fool going down each lane with a trolley full of shopping, I now look for landmarks so I don't forget again.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 15:07:36 »

Oh about losing the  car, reminds me of the time I went to a very big boot sale hundreds of cars all parked up in rows. yes you have guessed it, I did not notice where my car was parked, walking around the boot sale I spied an ironing board just the thing I was looking for ,bought it and spent the next hour trying to find my car  I am most careful now . did not like the ironing board after all
   June.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 19:17:11 »
My sister-in-law used to tie a plastic bag on her aerial so she could spot her car easily.
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2012, 21:27:44 »
I lost the diamond out of a solitaire ring twice..once when at the farmers market after unloading pigs..we found it among the hay at the loading dock, then some years later I noticed it missing after preparing Sunday lunch, it turned up in the apple crumble.  I eventually had that ring re made!

I lost my gold cross and chain last year. It came off in the house after the clasp got snagged. I never take it off usually. Anyway  the next day I went to get it to do te rpair and coudn't find it.

I serached the entire house  and it seemed to be gone.

I am a neat freak so everything has a place so I know exactly where eveything is so it was an easy search. It was gone.

I presumed John had accidently thrown it out.

Months later I went to get my bag of hair rollers which only sees the light of day a couple of times a year and it was among the rollers. I had used them about the same time as it went missing so I guess somehow it got scooped upwith them when they were put away.

I was over the moon happy and shrieking with delight.

Things usually turn up.

I am currently missing TWO surgical scalpels though...

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 00:14:56 »
Eventually, with luck, lost things sometimes turn up.

I found the pair of scissors that I lost last week. Not lost at all just misplaced. I'd put them on the outside window sill of the workshop across the road! Retraced my steps again... and there they were.

It's memory loss in my case not lost items.  :( Sometimes it's having too much to do and not concentrating on what I am doing.  ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 07:31:02 »
My wedding ring three times. First time over ten years ago when I was still working, I had been shredding paper work that I no longer needed in the office, my boss found it. Two years ago in Lidl's car park, a kind lady found it and put a notice in the local rag, then last year in the garden, I had dug an area over thought it might be there, I couldn't find it but Grandson and his Dad gently dug the area over again and there it was. It now hangs on a chain round my neck. It is still slightly damaged where a car had run over it in the car park.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 11:21:03 »
Oh Lord, my son has lost his glasses (so his dad confiscated the computer until he finds them again!).
My car was recently stolen, and although the vehicle was found, they had nicked my key for the water butt tap at the allotment ??? why would you nick that? They also took my drive-trhu supermarket card so I cancelled that just in case.

I have lost so many secateurs! I need to buy a new one before the autumn pruning comes  >:(
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 01:07:55 »
Some people seem to have rotten luck with losing things - perhaps compensated when they are found again.

My wedding ring (lost nearly 30 years ago) is somewhere on a school field upon which now stands a new school.

It was a chilly autumn day and I had just brought the children in from the field when I discovered it had gone. It didn't turn up despite keeping an eye out for it for the next 30 years.  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal