Author Topic: split peas  (Read 4100 times)

CityChick

• Acre
split peas
« on: February 11, 2007, 02:39:23 »
Any idea what peas are grown to dry as split peas?  I use quite a lot of them over winter in pea and ham soup, and wondered if I could dry the end of my crop of peas to use as split peas.  Or are they a special kind of pea?  (I know they're really cheap to buy in the shops but I can't find any organic ones which I'd prefer, so was just wondering...)

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: split peas
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 13:45:53 »
I was just looking through Marshall's catalogue and spotted their "Maro" pea, a marrowfat pea: "use for making mushy peas or add dried peas to stews and casseroles. ...can be eaten fresh when young and have a floury texture".

Is this what you mean? Don't know if they would split easily, though.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 21:43:01 »
I think split peas are usually yellow.

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 18:41:02 »
Marymary - there are yellow ones, but there are definitely green ones too eg here

artichoke - thanks for the tip, I'll look into the marrowfat ones!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 18:45:50 »
we just let peas dry on the plant and use them, they're a bit like marrowfat  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 19:16:08 »
Someone on this board said they planted them direct from the pack - try a h'food store for organic uns Lisa?
Sxx

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 20:13:12 »
Marymary - there are yellow ones, but there are definitely green ones too eg here

That's what I love about this site - I learn so much! :)

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 22:17:25 »
Me too - now I just need to learn what to do with the yellow ones, as I also bought a packet of those ;D  Any recipe ideas?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 22:31:53 »
I've got loads that I bought to fill bean bags with and would love to be able to use them to cook with...

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 22:34:00 »
I remember wonderful soups made with split peas [yellow ones!] & a ham bone - from the far off days when we ate meat. 

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 06:47:29 »
Ah, that's kind of what I do with the green ones - no ham bone though, off cuts of ham from the deli counter instead (and leeks, and celery...)

Never thought of doing it with the yellow ones.  Doh :-[

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 14:04:51 »
seeds of italy sell lentil seeds, tho they'll be the little gourmet puglia ones, not the same as the red orange yellow etc split peas. You could try the lentil sprouting mixtures as well, but goodness knows what you'd get

Lentils are apparently a UK crop of the future, but not because of global warming, they're at least as tough with frost as peas. I imagine for home growing they have the same pros and cons as peas, but with the extra cons of having small fiddly seeds, you can't eat them raw, and if you want split peas, you've got to dehusk them (somehow)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 13:48:07 »
I have revived this topic as it seems timely in the pea season!!
Also there was a question regarding split pea recipes. As I can't get my peas to start off well, dunno if I will have enough to dry them! But I wanted to say that in France, dried peas (split peas), both green and yellow, make a lovely puree. Cook them gently in some stock (or just in salty water, but that is a bit bland), 1 part of peas and 2 parts liquid, with a bay leaf, pepper, and thyme,  (watch the liquid level, add some boiling liquid if it is drying too much) then when they are really soft, take out the bay leaf, and puree them, either with a hand held mixer or another pureeing device. Add a dollop of cream, this makes a beaut veg to eat with porky things or a thick slice of smoked ham.
I also add a handful of dried peas to a winter veg soup, it thickens it and adds a nice flavour.
I assume that I can save my peas at the end of teh season to grow more next year? Let them dry in the pod?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal