Author Topic: Jeannines mystery beans  (Read 1673 times)

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
Jeannines mystery beans
« on: April 30, 2007, 22:36:02 »
These are some little brown beans given to me by Jeannine(thanks again Jeannine ;)), has anyone else got them and Jeannine did you sow yours yet? 

I sowed mine a couple of weeks ago at the same time as my french beans and Lima beans (also courtesy of Jeannine) ;D

There is still no sign of life :-\ , the others are all up and doing well. 

Anyone else out there with any news about these little beans, let me know, please! ::)

Donna
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Jeannines mystery beans
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 22:40:27 »
Yes I have sown mine they are up about 5 inches or so, germination was poor though for some reason, I sowed quite a few and probably only got half XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 22:50:34 »
Hi Jeannine, glad you were out there :D.  I only put 6 in so I will do another 6 tomorrow to make sure at least a couple germinate. 

Of the the lima beans, I have 5 out of the 6 up so far and the other one is stirring   :D.

Beans are my new passion at the moment, I had bean casserole for my dinner tonight and can't wait for my own to cook! ;D

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I will keep you posted via this thread.
Donna xx
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 23:20:46 »
I forgot to do the lima beans, I think I will do them tomorrw. I have since got another lima too  called Christmas Lima.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 07:16:44 »
Jeanine, I only have 6 of your beans, should I soak them for 24 hours before sowing them?  I want to do the best I can to get them to germinate!  Will I do the same with my Trail of Tears too?  I am very excited about trying these beans, so are my family which is good. :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:03:20 »
Hi, I personally don't soak my beans but I know many people do. I find mu mystery beans havea tendency to rot quickly so I plant them in damp soil and give them some heat to get them off to a quick start. Mine are up and so are  my trail of tears XX Jeannine

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:18:13 »
It's funny, I have always soaked them but was looking in my books at the weekend and found no mention which is why I asked you.  I shall sow them today without soaking and pop them in my airing cupboard as I usually get good germination in there, and keep fingers and toes crossed.  Thanks for your help Jeannine.  T.x

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 09:42:10 »
I have planted 4 of Jeannine's Brown Beans [no mystery that's obviously their name  :)] along with all my runners, French beans etc about a week ago & none are really up yet - they are in the unheated [up to 35 in the day!] greenhouse - hadn't thought to put them in a propagator though sounds like I should have done.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 12:34:27 »
I have also had my beans (not Jeannine's)  in the root trainers for about a week or so now and only now is a bit of life showing.  Maybe should have also put them in the propogator - but I find they bolt too quickly.  Anyway, maybe nature knows best!!  I will hold off a bit longer before I replant as I do not want to be awash with bean plants that I cannot plant.  ;D ;D

Jeannine - if you have a couple spare of that Christmas Lima I would not mind getting a couple to try.  I do not have any Lima beans.  Mainly growing dwarf and French runner beans with only one Runner Bean (Red Rum) grown at home.  The latter I only planted yesterday in situ.

Jitterbug
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:36:55 by Jitterbug »
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 14:10:54 »
is it ok to sow mystery beans direct/??? I have bad luck with beans/peas sown in modules/loo rolls but direct i'm ok.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 14:50:48 »
I am getting a bit worried about my mystery beans, I have had poor germination problems and 1 person has had none come throughthe seeds are from the year before last so should be more than OK , I have had some  of the ones I planted germinate but not as many as usual. I am going for broke tonight and am going to sow all I have left in the hope I can get extra. These are very precious to me and I will be devastated it I lose them . The brown beans are not the same thing they came from Baker Creek, I have not sown any of those personally .

If I sent these seeds as swaps rather than freebiesa please let me know and I will replace them with something else.

XX Jeannine 

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 18:01:53 »
Hi Jeannine,

i'm just about to sow your mystery beans too.  Can I just check  - are they for the pods, or for the beans (i've lost the thread)? I know you'll say both......unless you say otherwise, i'll go for the beans

Rt

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 18:05:22 »
I am going to say both actually. They make a nice flat green bean and thay do make a good dry soup bean too, the only down side to them is the fact that they don't freeze to well compared to say Blue Lake, they have a tendency to go mushy. This probably answers your question that they are probably meant to be a dry bean,,,but repeat good as green lightly steamed. I will keep my fingers crossed about the germination now, I am really getting worried. XX Jeannine

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 08:39:02 »
thanks Jeannine. Hope I haven't tempted fate, by asking what to do with the beans, when they haven't even germinated yet  ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal