Author Topic: Advice please - what to plant?  (Read 2272 times)

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
Advice please - what to plant?
« on: April 30, 2007, 18:57:26 »
Hi all
I've been concentrating heavily on my plot and growing edibles for the last few years and have neglected my garden somewhat - apart from the kitchen garden area at the back which has my fruit and veg 'extras'in it!
I'm really hopeless at non edible stuff and need advice/recommendations on how to fill a space just vacated by an elderly shrub.  What can I put in its place to fill a 5' gap...something that grows to between 5-6ft and has 'interesting' foliage colour and with scented flowers or blossom. 
All suggestions gratefully received!
Plottie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Advice please - what to plant?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 19:02:25 »
An asparagus bed !! Sorry I just couldn't resist. I am useless at non edibles too XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 19:45:46 »
we've got a beautiful philadelphus, or mock orange, about 3'6", lime green leaves, fantastically scented flowers soon,
it depends on if you want , a perennial or something you can change..why not plant an apple tree  ;D

not very good on non edibles, either  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 21:57:36 »
What about a Ceanothus? not much of a pong, but makes up for that with the flowers, and it's evergreen, or a good old Hebe- lots to choose from.
Daphne, now there's a lovely perfume, or a Mahonia even. Or how about a Weigela?. I have a similar problem Plottie, and as I have all of these I'm going for a self pollinating Cox apple tree. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 22:46:44 »
Sweet Box... non descript in Summer but a beautiful fragrance in winter/ea. spring
 ;D

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 01:10:32 »
Why not have a play with the RHS Plant Selector - you don't have to be a member, but you get more responses if you are.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx

Or the BBC Plant Finder http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/index.shtml.

I'm sure it'll inspire you.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 22:52:07 »
What's the soil? How much sun? How about a nice rose - either a shrub or climber? Some can tolerate a bit of shade and/or crap soil.. at least then you get flowers for cutting and hips for jam.

I'm not great with shrubs.. don't particularly have the patience. I just end up shoving big edibles or roses in instead.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 23:23:39 »
A hebe or two would be nice. I saw a gorgeous plant the other day. After a bit of hunting i have identified it as Ajuga http://www.greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/328
It's from the mint family apparently and would fill 5' quite easily! It's flowers are great ad it has lovely leaves.

Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Rohaise

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:58:34 »
Why not just treat yourself to an arbour seat in  that space ?  Plant Jasmine and a climbing rose and a couple of clematis to grow up and perfume the air around you .      OR     "Plant "a bird table there instead ?
                                                                          Rohaise   x

ShadyLady

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 15:00:16 »
What about a philadelphus coronarius variegatus - White flowers, very fragrant, white and green leaves. Needs a spot that's not too exposed and not too dry or the leaves will brown at the edges.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 19:02:47 »
For scent in early spring, try Elaeagnus x ebbingei 'Gilt Edge'.

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 08:44:06 »
Thamks to all for those suggestions....having checked them out on the BBC plant finder (thanks slug_killer) I'm off to the garden centre armed with my list
Plottie  :) :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal