Author Topic: mares/horsetail  (Read 1981 times)

floraposte

mares/horsetail
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:24:35 »
is it ok to pull this up as it shows, or am i making this worse

ACE

• Hectare
Re: mares/horsetail
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 05:52:38 »
It will only break off, but your plot will look neater. It is something you will learn to live with. I try to get all the bits of root out when I am digging, it is impossible to get it all. So when it pops up, just chop it off with a hoe and one day in the far distant future the plant might give up.

I had it really bad on an allotment once, and using the same method as above gradually tamed it. It was always there but it did not affect the crop yield, it just looked untidy.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 07:04:31 »
one of the lads on the plot uses a window fastener, you know what I mean? to dig down to get as much as he can out, we use a 'daisy grubber' it takes it a bit longer to grow back  ;D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 07:46:01 »
i think ace is right,it is something youhave to live with unless youare going to nuke it (not even sure that would work). 
on my site the plot that regularly wins the best kept plot competition has a  problem with it, but they just keep on top of it by removing each tip as it appears religiously.  on the pavement over the fence which has recently been resurfaced the stuff grows up through the tarmac in an alarming fashion. my son loves to look at it.

chrispea27

• Acre
apple pest
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:06:05 »
Any ideas what is causing a white/grey powder on the leaves on my apple tree (2 yrs old)
looks like powdery mildew?

Thanks
Chris Pea

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 17:42:59 »
nasty as the stuff may be in an allotment -  i too like the look of it. so primeval!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 20:57:32 »
When you pull the head tops or roots out, ensure they go in a container to dry out then burn. If you leave them on the ground they will take root and you will have 2 marestail for the one you chopped in half. It will get less year on year - but the devils work will never disappear. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 21:05:00 »
my front garden has horsetail comming from next door i have been spraying it with roundup but no impact!

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 21:06:56 »
Its horrific stuff!

When I took my plot on 3 years ago there wasn't any sign of it...till the following year when it was all dug and looking good. Since then I have been hoeing it off as soon as it appears and cleared any roots then I see when digging, though this is easier said then done as it is really difficult to see against the fresh dug soil. (or should I be going to spec savers??)

Good luck with the battle

Regards

Matt

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 21:11:36 »
Cam

The shafts are coated in silicone - so it just laughs at Roundup - try Deep Root as long as it is in an area where you are not planning on growing for the next 3 months.

Hoeing is a good way to keep it under control during the growing season, digging out the roots slows it down and weed membrane and chippings deals with the rest ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 22:32:34 »
Bruising the stem can help the Roundup to be absorbed. It's creeping towards my allotment, so every day I go on patrol.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 12:23:32 »
HI

Good tip, its comming up in my azalea bed which i want to keep.

I am going to grab a hammmer and give it a good wack then spray it again!!

Cam7

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal