Author Topic: Hi from a newbie  (Read 1123 times)

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
Hi from a newbie
« on: May 10, 2007, 21:24:50 »
I would like to start by saying a BIG THANK YOU to one and all. For the past several weeks I have visited the site as a guest and have enjoyed and been amazed at the knowledge and enthusiasm of you all. For the past three years I have rented a plot near to where I live, the reason I took on the plot was to prevent the development of the land. Along with many other plot holders we have secured the area for many years to come. However my plot always seemed to be over grown and a part from the Knot weed not much else grew. On a recent visit to my plot (the first of probably only two in any year) I suddenly felt I wanted more out of the plot and not just to apply the annual weed killer. As a result I talked to others at the site found your website and have not looked back since. There is still a lot of work to do, but we have made a start and have sectioned half the plot off and covered with plastic to suppress weed growth. The rest of the plot we have cleared of weeds and started to double dig. We have made some raised beds 3mX6m and have planted onions, garlic, broccoli and carrots just to get us started. I’m sure my wife and I will be asking many questions over the coming months and I know you lot will provide the answers, once again thanks for the fantastic input you have all put into the site.

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Hi from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 21:32:34 »
Welcome!

cj :)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 21:32:38 »
you do realise we are dangerous to your health ?   :P

you'll go blind from too much time at the monitor.

your stress levels will go through the roof cos your parsnips aren't germinating and your onions are bolting.  you'll never sleep cos you'll be dreaming of what to plant where NEXT season and your sole topic of conversation will be about hoeing and pinching out.

apart from that we're quite sane, join the madhouse and make yourself feel right at home and dust of the white jacket.

welcome aboard.

;D

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 21:37:22 »
Hi,welcome to the site.We all started our alloments for various reasons ,but i am sure you will soon be as addicted as the rest of us.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 21:44:40 »
We're only slightly mad!
 :-X

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 21:46:43 »
you speak for yourself.

8)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 12:37:35 »
Hi and hope you enjoy the lot :)

This site is great and everyone is really helpful (even with the dafts questions!), it's also VERY addictive and you will be growing more than you know what to do with in days!

Esre
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 13:56:08 »
A4A is great, isn't it?!? :)
I discovered it last October when I got my plot and have been amazed at the generosity and helpfulness of everyone here ;D
sounds like you're making really good progress, looking forward to seeing some pics of your plot!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 14:12:59 »
Welcome DD - you've come to the right place for information, advice and help in all matters gardening. Lucky you to have a plot to work on  8).

I have a very small garden, but still manage to grow enough fruit and veg. to last me most of the winter months. It's tremendous fun too  :).

Tricia

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 16:52:52 »
Welcome to the asylum DD, you will find I am the only sane one on the forum, stick with me and you should be all right.  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 16:58:54 »
hello , good afternoon and welcome, deva duke, ( who used to say that..was it david frost ? )   :)

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 17:04:53 »
Hiya   ;D  ;D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 17:08:08 »
Another hello.

Yes, I'm amazed at A4A too. No matter how obscure the query, someone can always answer it, comment on it, or point you in the right direction. (And sometimes you even get half a dozen totally conflicting right answers to the same question!)

It certainly sounds as if you've got the bug!

Deva Duke

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 10:16:48 »
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement…! This site is very addicted. Great idea to post some pics ‘norfolklass’ shall try and do that over the weekend.

Not sure about David Frost ‘manicscousers’ but coming from Chester, Deva being the old Roman name for the town.

Anyhow off to the plot right now, to make some more raised beds and still plenty of digging to do.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 11:03:48 »
Hi  Double D.... sorry but you have been warned we are all mad.

Welcome to the site.

Actually some of us are not mad,we are sane ,reliable very basic gardeners who now and again find the time to pop in for a minute a two in a season to see if there is anything new.......................and if you believe that you will believe anything.

Now which way up do I plant lettuce seeds ??

Have a great time and welcome again XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 11:42:13 »
Lots of luck for your new found enthusiasm!!

My plot is a real sanctuary - I think I'd get pretty depressed within a couple of weeks without it! 

In fact, I think I'll get dressed and go there now!!

Mini

PS post us some photos...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal