Author Topic: How many beans does it take to ...  (Read 1874 times)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
How many beans does it take to ...
« on: April 25, 2007, 21:00:46 »
...break a garden cane?

My wigwam collapsed several times last year due to rampant runner beans so I'm using a different structure this year - two big poles stuck in the ground at the back corners of the bed, about  ten feet apart, wire going between the two and then canes tied onto the wireto give a single row.  Surely that should be safe?

Anyhoo, I was going to plant one early bean seedling per cane along with one late bean seed, ie, two bean plants per cane.  Could I get away with putting more on or am I just bean greedy?(Sorry, terrible pun)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Re: How many beans does it take to ...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 21:22:28 »
Don't forget the guy ropes  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 21:47:03 »
I doubt it.

If you look at my classic arrangement that has been used for generations, it managed to withstand the worst winds that could be thrown at it direct from the Irish Sea. You are right about the rampant growth.

This year I am growing some in a single line of canes supported by wire between two 4 inch posts sunk 3 feet down in concrete. I am still worried!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_Beans_Runner.html

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:38:05 »
Reeeeeeeeelly - it's toooo bad!!

Tried to A4A post a photo of our plan - facility not operative. Went to Photobucket - site down for maintenance.

Oh, well - I'll add it later.

Our permanent bed has 3x8' posts. Nothing will ever move it!

I believe it's counterproductive to cram things in. Ventilation, ease of access for bees & for picking are important features.

We only have one bean per cane, 9" apart.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 10:52:30 »
Aha, but you haven't seen the size of my poles  ;)

TIm, shortage of space is the reason for planting two per station, and I sort of thought I was being clever planting an early and late variety together (although, to be honest , I didn't realise before this year that you could get early and late runner beans).  And the godd old "experts" in the books say to sow two seeds per sation.  I stopped reading at that bit, though, so they might well have gone on to say "thin out the weakest".

I do take your point though about giving veg a bit of space.  We have deep beds so  I can get away with planting a bit more intensively than some, but I think (one of) my problems last year was thinking I could sow enough seed to supply a market stall on a half plot in Glasgow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 12:17:06 »
I don't grow the things myself, but my neighbour has a permanent runnder bean bed with a framework made of scaffolding poles. That never falls down!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 12:29:19 »
Bearded Wonder has made me a couple of hurdles to lean my canes against this year. He does everything to last, so I'm hopeful this will stay put.
Smile, it confuses people.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 13:07:46 »
'Planting intensively?'  One still has the spatial problem - as opposed to the root-feeding one?

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 17:06:15 »
when i plant out my runner seedlings i pop in a bean aswell. not in the samw hole but on the other side of the cane.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 18:08:27 »
And are your beans ok, Sarah?  Do you notice any loss of crop or difficulty picking?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 19:32:06 »
we grow 8 plants, around a wigwam of hazel 'twigs', 1 to a twig and 1 in between..they are substantial 'twigs' though   :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 20:49:38 »
I too have a permanent bean structure  the full width of my plot, I have never had anything collapse, XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 21:20:22 »
And are your beans ok, Sarah?  Do you notice any loss of crop or difficulty picking?

yes they  do fine. some get slugged and the yield seems to be ok (but i dont claim to be an expert.) i prefer rows for runner beans really, i think that french beans do better on a wigwam.  i didnt realise you could get early and late runners either.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 22:16:22 »
I don't see the point of growing early and late runners if they exist. Early is down to timing not the variety, and once cropping commences in July it should continue from the same plants well into September. The beans must be harvested continuously though. Leave them to get tough and seedy then they do stop producing but otherwise it is a continuous production.

I have always found a wigwam of canes both adequate and stable even in severe weather as the wind seems to get diverted no matter what the direction. Runners planted in rows will always be vulnerable in a storm no matter how strong your posts are. I've seen iron gas pipes bent 90 degrees and I've seen rows of beans ripped away from post and frame constructions when the foliage is dense.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 12:34:39 »
Thanks for all that.

Hello Eristic - it's not the wind that I found to be a problem last year, it was the monsoon rain that we had in August/September - the first lot made the beans put on a massive growth spurt, and then the second lot just brought them crahing down - and that was with a wigwam reinforced with several bits of 2 by 4. 

I'm off up the lotties to put up my pole and wire structure, and then get the kids to swing on it for a bit.  If it can survive them, it can survive anything.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 17:01:46 »
This is ours - single row.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 17:04:07 by tim »

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 20:39:10 »
Thanks Tim, that's exactly what I was hoping to build, or should I say, get my OH to build.  He has a penchant for digging holes and hitting things with a mallet  ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 21:49:33 »
I'll hold it, and when I nod my head, you hit it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 07:12:08 »
I'll hold it, and when I nod my head, you hit it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D

oldies but goodies, eh, saddad ?  ;D ;D ;D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 13:01:47 »
Wigwams here - leave one cane out for an entrance - last year, small monster was able to get in and out! also handy for picking beans on the inside!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal