Author Topic: Planting various seeds  (Read 1901 times)

Haggismonster

• Not So New ...
  • Novice Gardener!
Planting various seeds
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:51:50 »
Hi - I have just purchased some seeds off e-bay and I was wondering if anyone had advice for where to plant them (ie should I plant them into seed trays or can I plant them directly outside and what soild type do they prefer?) Sorry I know there are loads but I am new to this and don't have a clue!

Libertia peregrinans
Penstemon digitalis Husker's Red
Pimpinella major Rosea
Aquilegia mixed variety
Chloris distichophylla
Linum lewisii Blue Flax
Mesembryanthemum crinifl. mix
Angelica archangelica
Digitalis ferruginea
Persicaria superba rubra
Yellow Ratabidia
Rudbeckia
Allium
Mixed scabious
Pennisetum sect. rubrum
Cyperus (not sure what kind)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
Re: Planting various seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 14:17:43 »
Libertia peregrinans
Penstemon digitalis Husker's Red~~seed tray
Pimpinella major Rosea ~~sow direct
Aquilegia mixed variety~~sow direct

Chloris distichophylla
Linum lewisii Blue Flax~~sow direct
Mesembryanthemum crinifl. mix
Angelica archangelica~~sow direct
Digitalis ferruginea~~sow direct

Persicaria superba rubra
Yellow Ratabidia
Rudbeckia~~seed tray
Allium
Mixed scabious~~sow direct
Pennisetum sect. rubrum
Cyperus (not sure what kind)

...but i'm no expert

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Haggismonster

• Not So New ...
  • Novice Gardener!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 17:12:27 »
cheers for that - I am spending loads of time looking all these up on the internet - any tips for a website that has most plants and details on how to grow it?

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 23:50:37 »
Haggis, try looking here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/index.shtml

Just type in the plant you want to know about.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Rohaise

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 14:39:09 »
 I have just been outside sowing and scattering all the seeds from the flowergarden that I harvested last Autumn. It has been raining on and off here and after the lovely weather we.ve had and the promise of a bit more rain it seems the perfect time to scatter them .
            However Monsieur Haggis le Monster ,I would take abit more care with your seeds ,mine are just what I call the" easy simples" such as poppies, calendulars, nigella, lupins and oh! all kinds of things to make an easy riot of colour .    Cyperus is gorgeous (all kinds of it ) a favourite of mine, it likes a  really damp place, perhaps easier to buy a plant in that from seed it could take a long time . I could send you a piece when I next divide it if you,d like .  Rohaise   :)

Rohaise

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 21:53:46 »
Sorry ! I just took a peek at your profile and I see that you are a Madamoiselle Haggis Monster ! Oops!    ::) Also I may have given the impression I was trying to sell you abit of my Cyperus alternifolius.  wrong you can have a piece for absolutely nothing ,just contact me !  Rohaise  :D

Haggismonster

• Not So New ...
  • Novice Gardener!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 15:39:08 »
Hi - I have stuck my Cyperus seeds in  a pot - the other half in the boggy ground - what are the chances of them growing do you reckon?  If nil I would gladly recieve some fully grown cyperus!

Rohaise

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 19:49:33 »
Send me your address in a private message ..I got your last message it came as an email . That,s the first time I,ve sent a private message so I was glad you actually recieved it!  :) I am not that good with computers ,better with posting the good old fashioned letter.....or parcel . It usualy takes two days to kent or scotland from here . My brother and I take extraordinary risks with bare root plants and cuttings, packed very carefully . Come on we,ll take a chance !  I,ll go and cut you off a piece,you be ready with a pot and some nice compost. This plant can be grown as a house plant. Have you got a sunny porch or conservatory ,or windowsil ? 
         Look forward to hearing from you .  Rohaise      :D

Rohaise

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 20:05:15 »
Haggis, try looking here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/index.shtml

Just type in the plant you want to know about.
Quizzicall ...I  would love to see your Rockery garden picture closer up ! It look beautiful and might be a good way for me to grow my cacti . Rohaise x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal