Author Topic: Because everyone seems to want it NOW - or sooner.........  (Read 1160 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Might it be interesting & helpful, later in the year, to have a resume of dates sown, planted & harvested?    Eg:
What? – Variety.
When - Date sown/planted.
Where? – PP (propagator) WS/AC (window sill/airing cupboard) HG/CG (heated/cold greenhouse/frame) OG/OGC (open ground/covered).
In? - PL/PO/TR (plugs, pots, trays).
Germinated?
Planted out – when, where, in?
Fruit set?
First harvest? (last harvest?)

How did this compare with later sowings?

Ideas??

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: Because everyone seems to want it NOW - or sooner.........
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:43:03 »
I feel i speak for all newbies when i say YES! Tim, that would be fantastic.  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:55:26 »
Absolutely.  Think I'll start a garden diary.

Although it does look as if this year is shaping up to be another strange one, weatherwise.  What is a typical year?  Is there such a thing anymore?

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:50:33 »
Anyone that aspires to be a good gardener must take notes and keep records, but these records should not be taken as gospel. Careful consideration must always be given to the weather and the cost or difficulty of replacing any failures. It is better to have a good understanding of the plants requirements and tolerances and we will never find out these tolerances unless someone like me is happy to stick his neck out and break the rules.

Runner bean: pot sown 19-3-7 - germinated 1/4/7 - planted 14/4/7 - first crop estimate 25/6/7 :D

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 13:07:01 »
for anybody who wants some simple record-keeping skeletons have a squint at our web pages. Click on downloads ...

"Cultivation log by year" is a single sheet pdf document skeleton that you can download, print and then write on.

.. or you can have the Excel version which has a few more bits and pieces

.. or "Cultivation log by crop" from another plot holder (Excel only).

They will give you some ideas if nothing else.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 16:48:11 »
I meant, of course, a forum thread, as opposed to your own diary - which I'm sure you all keep meticulously??

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 17:23:59 »
I think that's a brilliant idea. It would certainly have helped me when I took on the allotment and started growing on a large scale, so I'm sure it'll be useful to lots of newbies; I think I could learn a lot from it too!

Those of us who've been gardening for some time have sorted out our own sowing/planting timetables, but the climate's changing and I've been aware for some time that - although it may suit me - mine's possibly/probably wrong. It may mean more than one thread, of course. One for each type of veg (brassicas, squashes, legumes, etc)?

Who and when to start, with what? (I keep fairly detailed notes of that sort of thing and it's quite obvious I'm not the only one.)

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 20:09:40 »
Yes please Tim
Sue

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 07:52:00 »
No techie ideas on this - thought there might be a new slot opened under this heading - like Veggie Show - where we could enter our details as they became available in toto?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal