Author Topic: digging for victory  (Read 1977 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
digging for victory
« on: May 31, 2007, 15:14:21 »
sorry, folks, this is on uktv gardens tomorrow at 10 pm, looks very interesting, all around allotments  :)
I wish they'd show it on ordinary tv, there's lots like my mum and dad in law who haven't got cable who would  love to watch it, and the video's up the spout  >:(

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: digging for victory
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 18:54:00 »
Saw it last night, I thought it was a bit 'bitty', the presenters are judging the allotments to find the 'best three' out of nine I think, but do not reveal their scores.

You get to see the odd allotmenteer, but not the whole of their plot, and they appear to be judging it all in February for some reason, surely not the best time to look at them?! Jury's out I'm afraid..... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 19:38:46 »
no, not keen  :( :)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 13:47:38 »
Watched the first couple........................gave up.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 14:26:14 »
I'd rather have the victorian kitchen garden which follows it  :)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 23:55:57 »
Well - at least it's allotments - but what can you judge in February for gods sake? 

And what constitutes "Good" ????  Tidy? Organic? weeds nuked? everything regimented in rows?, wildlife????  After all you can't judge much veg that time of year!  It would be helpful to know what their judging criteria is!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 07:02:10 »
The criteria are community spirit, ecology, produce...things like that. Our lottie wouldnt stand a chance. All arguements, sparays and Ailsa Craig tomatoes ::)

They go back later to see how things are looking. It drives me mad, as they keep repeating the same info on the competition and lotties every program. I think it could have been much more interesting if they had shown more of the lotties.

I was a bit annoyed with the last one too. They showed someone's lottie that had put really pretty raised beds. It looked lovely. Because no one else had done that, they said it looked like people trying to be better than others ???

I think it woul dbe a good idea to do this sort of thing with individual lotties.

cj :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 11:17:39 »
The Edinburgh site that won didn't look very impressive last night, but I didn't see the earlier programme.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal