Author Topic: thompson and morgan *****  (Read 3747 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
thompson and morgan *****
« on: June 06, 2007, 21:38:50 »
just received these sweet potato slips today, cost 8.99 for 10, sent out, dry in plastic bags inside a cardboard box, 5 with no roots, two days ago
anyway, I've e mailed them and had a rant, feel better now

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: thompson and morgan *****
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 21:43:39 »
Ask for a lady called Clare Fisher, she got all my problems sorted out and is very kind.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 22:28:55 »
Bung 'em in anyway Manics they recover well... mine were Beauregard and they looked sad when they arrived but are doing well now!
 ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 23:26:51 »
All the plants I ordered from T&M have been very good this year, some have arrived a bit later than advertised, but I can't fault the quality.

On the other hand some of the plants from D T Brown and Dobies looked very much like yours manics.  From the plants I have received that have not been particularly good (ie dead), I think the problem has been that at some stage in the posting process the packages have been left in full sun and cooked.  I think the warm weather we had in April caught some of the growers on the hop!!

I would agree with saddad, and plant them up anyway, but rather than email, I would ring up and tell them that the plants are not satisfactory.  You do eventually get to speak to a very helpful someone in the UK, rather that someone halfway up the hindu kush.

T&M do guarantee their plants, so if you are not satisfied, let them know.

In my case with DTB and Dobies, in one case I received replacements, and in the other a refund, because the plants were no longer available.

There was no quibble.  They accepted my word.

valmarg

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 23:45:36 »
i had some slips from T&M which failed and they replace with a vouched no quibble

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 09:02:49 »
Hello

Thompson & Morgan are in my good books i have ordered a lot of the Daily Mail offers and a couple have arrived looking worse for ware and i rang them up and straight away replacements ordered and no  questions asked.

The worst one i found was Van Muewen i ordered some of there fuchsias ages ago and still not arrived i rang yesterday they are now saying upto a month  >:( >:( i will give them untill middle of next week and i might cancel the order.
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 09:26:11 »
Of the 24 strawberries I ordered from Ken Muir only 1 has survived. The 12 I ordered from Marshalls at the same time are covered with large strawberries.  All planted in the same bed. Haven't had time to get back to Ken Muir but I will.

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 13:41:32 »

The worst one i found was Van Muewen i ordered some of there fuchsias ages ago and still not arrived i rang yesterday they are now saying upto a month  >:(

I also ordered some fuchsias on 16th May that were a special offer.  Received yesterday.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 19:37:04 »
they've  e mailed me today, told me to get back to them in 3 weeks if the slips fail..trouble is, it'll be too late then..anyway, saddad, I've planted up the beauregard which were a bit better, with roots and potted up the t65, to see if they perk up  :)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 08:45:57 »
I assume that most of the big seedsmen use all sorts of third party suppliers, and their quality control isn't always up to much.  I'm very nervous of T&M these days.  Some thinsg we've ordered from them have been brilliant, others an utter failure.  Given that they charge a premium price, I'd like a rather higher success rate!

The guarantees are all very well, but as manicscousers says, by the time you get to claim, you've lost a whole season.

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 16:06:40 »
They are on their 4th attempt to complete my seed order at the mo.  >:(

I've spoken to some charming customer service staff over the last couple of weeks, but they seem to be incapable of sending out the right stuff.

Won't bother again, even with 50% off.
You been goofin' with the bees?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 18:13:04 »

The worst one i found was Van Muewen i ordered some of there fuchsias ages ago and still not arrived i rang yesterday they are now saying upto a month  >:( >:( i will give them untill middle of next week and i might cancel the order.

I ordered some fuchsias from VM, it was some 'reader offer' I heard about here, & they arrived last week.  They are pretty healthy but very small.  I have potted them up but won't be planting them out for a while.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 20:27:28 »
I recommend St Giles Nursery for Fuchsias although it's getting a bit late in the season.  The quality is excellent and the prices very reasonable.  Here's a link.  G x

http://stgilesnursery.co.uk/
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 01:05:56 »
I can second that recommendation - I discovered them via e-bay. Have just ordered some more Chocolate Cosmos from them.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 08:46:09 »
 T&M will never have my custom again. I don't mind paying a higher pricefor my seeds if the germination rate is good. I have had to replace 3 lots of seed I  got from T&M this year and sew again. Taking the chance that they will not be too late.I will take a look at the link for St. Giles Nursery, but I will be getting my seeds from Real Seeds as I am so pleased with the results I have had this season
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 08:52:08 »
Have just looked at the St. Giles site and the prices are unbelievable. Have added it to my favourite as I want to order some  Jack Shahan fucshias next spring
                             I want em saying

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 23:59:29 »
Another vote here for Real Seeds Shirlton - superb!

;D
Lesson for life:

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 09:39:26 »
Another vote here for Real Seeds Shirlton - superb!

;D
What seeds of theirs are you growing Amazin
                             I want em saying

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 00:28:11 »
I ordered the following:

Quick Broccoli
Tuscan Kale
Sutherland Kale
Fat Baby Achocha
Land Cress
Minnesota Midget melon
Lipstick sweet pepper
Cima di Rapa San Marzano

So far, I've only started three of them - the peppers and melon are going well, though slowly as they're outdoors - the achocha, on the other hand, is romping away!

;D
Lesson for life:

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37:35 »
I tried their Lipstick peppers last year, the taste is amazing soooooo sweet! the plants are fruiting again, they over winter well..... I'm a fan of real seeds, I just wish I could pay on their site not through pay pall

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal