Author Topic: Hardy annuals & perennials, planting out help needed  (Read 2635 times)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Hardy annuals & perennials, planting out help needed
« on: April 28, 2007, 13:50:58 »
I've got a few different Hardy annuals and perennials that I've grown from seed. They were started indoors on a warm, sunny window sill but are now in outside my mini greenhouse, to acclimatise them and protect from frosts. They have been there for 4 1/2 weeks now.

Would it be safe to start exposing them to frosts now or should I wait until all risk of frost has passed?

I live 10 miles South of Edinburgh, lasts frosts are usually around the end of May.

The plants in question are:

Sweet Peas, Echinacea purpurea "white form", Cornflower, Nigella, Dwarf Sunflowers and Anthirrinums.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Hardy annuals & perennials, planting out help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 18:30:56 »
our sweet peas have been outside for 3 weeks now but we're here in the north west , I've just got fleece handy in case..they're going great guns  :)

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 17:43:45 »
I reckon all those will be fine, though I'd protect the sweet peas a little if a frost's expected.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 18:51:52 »
My sweet peas have now gone under cloches, since the mini-greenhouses are filling up at a rate of knots. I'll be planting them out in a week or two at this rate.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 19:03:38 »
Was thinking of planting out my sweet peas in the next day or so under cut off 'coke bottle'  type cloches.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 20:32:10 »
We live 30 miles south of Edinburgh and never put out our hardy annuals till the end of May.  A touch of frost is forecast for tonight.  They say to watch the local council gardeners and when they start to plant out in the local towns then its safe to plant out.  I suppose I am being extra cautious but better to wait than to lose them all in a frost. 

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 08:24:42 »
Hi all,  :D
                Not wishing to blow my own trumpet  ::) my sweet peas have already started to flower  ;D  The secret is to sow them in the autumn, leave them in a coldframe all winter , they need no other protection,  & plant them out in March.
 Leaves more space to sow & grow other things.

Adrian.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 08:27:26 »
                Not wishing to blow my own trumpet  ::) my sweet peas have already started to flower  ;D 
                                                                           Adrian.

Now that is just showing off  ;D
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 16:49:46 »
Thanks for all the replies, I guess I'd be best to just wait, get some more fleece or make bottle cloches.

I just ain't got no more room in me mini greenhouse for the stuff that's ready to go in there  ::).

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 19:36:44 »
                Not wishing to blow my own trumpet  ::)  The secret is to sow them in the autumn, leave them in a coldframe all winter , they need no other protection,  & plant them out in March.
 Leaves more space to sow & grow other things.

Adrian.

I'm with Adrian,

always sow in November in cold greenhouse, no protection other than the glass. Put em out during March in pots then into the ground mid April.
However ..... just in case, I sow more seed in February, but for last several years have had no problem with the Autumn sown seeds, they seem to laugh at Frost  ;)  ....... whoops ..... that's put the mockers on em

North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 09:16:20 »
I've got a trumpet too  ;) Picked my first (small!) bunch of sweet peas three days ago from autumn-sown plants! Lovely perfume  :)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 10:07:47 »
If I remember to sow them in November, then I might be blowing my own trumpet next year too. I usually forget though  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal