Author Topic: boook?  (Read 2617 times)

simmo116

• Acre
boook?
« on: November 26, 2008, 21:36:10 »
what would you say is the best book for a beginer lottie. nothing to complicated had in mind something along the lines of allotments for dummies!!! ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: boook?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 21:43:00 »
I like 'The allotment keeper's handbook' or Bob Flowerdew, any of his  ;D

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 21:43:14 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 21:57:35 »
Did my novice training with Caroline Foley's - An Allotment Handbook, supplemented with Dr Hessayon's Vegetable and Herb Expert and here, of course  ;D

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 22:37:26 »
Dr Hessayon's Vegetable and Herb Expert - certainly. It is very clear and helpful. There are plenty of other books. I am a nightmare for being them all, but I tend to find most of these an interesting read, but go back to the veg and herb expert book to actually check information.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 22:52:56 »
With you on that one, Sparkly. When I first started out gardening those books were a godsend - money was very tight and 'hobby' books were an absolute luxury. Hessayon's books were crammed full of information and cheap.

There's been criticism that he advocates the use of chemicals but you can take all the other practical advice the books have and, where you differ in approach, there's always an alternative method available.

I'd heartily recommend them to beginners in any aspect of growing - flowers, veg, fruit, whatever.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 22:55:36 »
I agree with downtoearth aka ninnyscrops - 'The Allotment Handbook:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+allotment+handbook+by+caroline+foley

and flighty suggestion is a good beginners book too.  I have both them books and always refer to them each month 4-5 years on.  As a kid I could never get into why people had allotment and gardening books.  Now I have about 15 of them.   With Christmas around the corner leave a big note somewhere where Santa will find it (like on the dining table or mantlepiece),  and if you have been a good boy..... well you never know.8) 8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 07:05:50 »
Pop into your local library I found most books on allotments there.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 21:12:23 »
go with Dr Hessayon's  vegetable and herb expert. leave out all the chemicals. it's the easiest book to use for a beginner. then try the encyclopedia of arganic gardening from HDRA. those 2 should sort you! ;)(I've got over 30  books!!)
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 11:30:01 »
I have got the veg and herb expert and Allotment gardening, Allotment gardening is in my opion better for beginners.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 15:07:20 »
I find Dr Hessayon much better for detail on spacing etc than Caroline Foley's Allotment handbook.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 01:24:03 »
I like Monty Don's 'The Complete Gardener' - for quite conversational advice, rather than a thorough treatise like the RHS books, which can be too much to digest. It's probably not good for a total novice, though - a bit of knowledge might be assumed.
 He takes the chemical and peat-free approach, which is great for me - a book that assumes I'll be taking the chemical option for pest-control might lead me up some wrong and pointless paths. Better to start off with the assumption that I'll be using neither (with the exception of glyphosate, which I'll use in extremis.)
I got it cut-price in Books Warehouse a month or so ago.
It's not specifically about allotments - and you might at some moments think 'yes, you have a lovely and enormous garden, Monty' - and wish that you too had space for a planted avenue - but hey ho. :D

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 01:28:06 »
..and don't forget the WWW is crammed full of information for gardeners and it's all free once you're on the net :)

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 16:40:40 »
thankx for all your advice. ive left santa a note for Dr Hessayon's and Caroline Foley's - An Allotment Handbook. cant wait to get stuck in to them
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal