Author Topic: Pre germination  (Read 1082 times)

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
Pre germination
« on: April 25, 2007, 16:12:12 »
I keep seeing messages about people pre germinating seeds to ensure that they germinate.

Why do you do this? ???
How do you do this?  ???
Does it make a big difference to just putting the seed in the ground?. ???

If this guarantees shoots growing I will use it all the time. I have planted parsnips but nothing has happened.  :(

The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Pre germination
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 16:33:38 »
Some do it on Kitchen roll Gary, I do them in old toilet rolls... look back a page or two for the entries on Parsnips...
 ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 16:51:53 »
I just put mine in seedtrays or the ground and hope for the best.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mouseski

• Quarter Acre
  • Killmouseski "Pest Control"
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 17:37:36 »

If this guarantees shoots growing I will use it all the time. I have planted parsnips but nothing has happened.  :(

Mine too, thinking about dipping the toe into the pre germination business to. Going to give kitchen roll a go and try it a bit like growing cress as a kid I hope! :)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 18:25:22 »
last lot, we covered them with more kitchen roll, moist and put it in the warm..got quite a few  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 21:12:16 »
Wrap a few in damp paper, put them in something so they can't dry out, put them somewhere warm, and leave for a few days. If they germinate, your seeds are OK. If you've got seed with dodgy germination, like parsnips, say, then do it routinely before planting. I'm wishing I'd started my sweet peas that way since the mice didn't leave me many of some varieties.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal