Author Topic: Varieties of sunflower being grown  (Read 3393 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Varieties of sunflower being grown
« on: April 24, 2007, 22:29:23 »
Am I allowed to ask this or is it a trade secret please.I would be interested to know what everyone is growing and why? Does it make big difference really which seeds you plant.? XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

legendaryone

• Hectare
Re: Varieties of sunflower being grown
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 22:32:23 »
I'm just growing two types this year one from seed we saved from our tallest last year and a red one called velvet queen (i think).
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 22:48:12 »
Some packet seed from Aldi's.
Some seed from "bigseed" off ebay.
Hopefully some mystery seed from next door of some giant ones that used to grow in the walled gardens to nearly 20 foot...if they germinate.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 23:03:25 »
Freebees in a mailshot from TNT no idea on variety!
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 23:08:44 »
Bicentenial and Red Sun for cutting and a confused tall strain that got too near the cutting ones a few years ago.. we are rogueing them out to get back to the big ones but we did get a much longer season with all the side shoots!
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 18:45:34 »
evening sun, netto 19p, giant sunflowers, ebay last year, 6 out of 7 germinated, also pinched 6 of the black sunflower hearts we bought to feed the birdies, they're all up..plus all the self seeded ones at the plot..some of them have been eaten by slugs, maybe i should use them as a sacrificial plant  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 23:06:00 »
Haven't got a clue Jeannine. When I was on holiday Grandson Joshua decided to sow a whole packet of seeds. Asked him where the seed packet was, he said "Oh I threw that away Nan!!" I do know that I have about 50 sunflowers in the greenhouse :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:13:34 »
they do brighten your life, don't they, lorna..sunflowers as well as grandchildren  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 11:00:41 »
Yes Manic  to both :) However I was surprised to hear him say to me "Your responsibility to keep them watered Nan as I have to go to school" I told him yesterday that he has to come round on Sunday and help to put some in bigger pots, or can we try some straight in t the garden?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 19:21:56 »
we have but a few have gone down to slugs..we've put some pop bottle 'collars' around them, cut with pinking shears..seems to be working at the mo ..hope you have lovely weather for it  :)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 12:30:22 »
I left my sunflower heads for the birds last year and later left them on the soil in a few key places, I now have small forests of self-seeded sunflowers forming, If they survive my big feet they will be better than the ones I raise in pots.

Varieties could be single giant, and some I gew for cutting, It never occured to me
that the seed would not be true to type. But I don`t mind either way.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

beckbeck

• Not So New ...
  • my allotment
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 12:55:24 »
I have planted "Giant Single" says on packet between 6-15 foot high and a red one "Velvet Queen"approx 5 foot, thwy have just started to emerge from the soil,we are each going to choose 2 plants,and put half in the garden and half up the lottie,see which ones do the best.Becky.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 19:42:53 »
Hello

"Bird seed special" - I have no idea but we brought some wild bird sunflower hearts from wilco's and where the birds are dropping them they are sprouting i had around 30 seedlings i decided to keep 8 and hoe the rest as they come.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal