Author Topic: Old seed.  (Read 2442 times)

DadnDom

• Half Acre
Old seed.
« on: April 24, 2007, 22:12:48 »
Does anyone know how long seeds stay viable for? We live in a barn conversion that borders some very old walled gardens that were tended by nuns up till the early 80's. Next door said the sunflowers used to grow over the top of the walls...the walls are around 17 feet high :o
Thing is the seeds are around 7 years old (ish) could be more. Any chance these monsters will be viable?
The seeds were kept in an underground "ice house" so were kept dark and cool.
Would be nice to revive them and re sow some in the old gardens.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Old seed.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 22:19:29 »
Viability of seeds vary with different species. Some stay okay for years (squash for example) and others need fresh seed each year. I would think that as sunflowers have a tough coat they may be okay. All you can do is give them a go. I would germinate them indoors rather than chance them outside. Good luck

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 22:24:12 »
I sowed seeds dated 1988 this year (squash) I  sowed 11 seeds I got 7 plants,  I only ever buy my roms and squash every few years, Corn is iffy after 2, onions same parsnips ok for 1 year only. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 23:06:44 »
Docks will supposedly germinate after a century.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 23:10:20 »
That wouldn't surprise me Rob... try them anyway, what have you got to loose but a handful of bird food?
 ;D

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:04:21 »
Will put a couple in direct and a couple in heated prop under controlled conditions :)
Fingers crossed, would be nice to spruce the old gardens up with some of the priginal plants.

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 08:45:29 »
The ones in the prop have popped and are reaching for the sky :)
I didn't think they would grow, very happy as it will be nice to put some back in the old gardens.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 08:53:41 »
the seeds I 'pinched' out of the sunflower hearts I bought for the birds are all up, it'll be a surprise what colour they are   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal